Grommets...!!!!!!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
what is the outtake on grommets...

we have a metal consumer unit where at some point a 32mm hole has been drilled / knockedout for a supply. that supply has since been removed and the hole left.

i have a rubber grommet to fill the gap but i cant find any where in the 17th regs to say it has to be replaced by a metal or rubber grommet!!!

any body else been in this situation!!!! im happy with the rubber grommet but my boss aint!!!!

Sponsored Links
The only reg that comes into play inthis situation is keeping the IP rating to IP4X (top surface to IP2X or IPXXB)

thats what i thought...

its on the very bottom of the CU which if you stand next to it is just above waist height!

i think the rubber grommet does the trick. provides sufficent protection from live parts and complies to ip4x

So long as it's a closed gromet then there shouldn't be a problem. However there is nothing stopping you riveting a plate over the hole!

Sponsored Links
yeah its a closed grommet,

i think a open gromett would just be a luxury that you did not catch your fingers on the metal case while poking your fingers into the busbar!!!

Problem is a closed grommet can still easily e pushed in (unless you add a little glue). IMO a couple of alu plates with a hole in & a nut/bolt work better. :D

IP (International Protection) rating IPXXB or IP2X
B = Protected against access with a finger (minimum 12 mm diameter test finger, 80 mm long) (adequate clearance from live parts)
2 = (a) Protection against access to hazardous parts with a finger (b) Protection against solid foreign objects of 12.5 mm diameter and greater.

So if you can't remove the grommet without the use of a tool it is OK. But if you can get your finger nail under grommet and remove it or are able to poke a hole in it with your finger then it is not good enough.

In the main you can remove rubber grommets without needing any tools either by just poking it through or pulling it out. If after doing this one could touch live parts then it would not comply.

If the live parts were more than 80mm from hole or had some other protection and the grommet is only for cosmetic purpose then it would be OK.

The same for some of the other blanking units. With a merlin Gerin board you can switch off the supply to the MCB's with a slide switch so to use push in blanking strip would likely be OK as it is really only for cosmetic purpose but in some other boards the unused pins to take the MCB's are still live so the blanks which are put in at an angle and once straight can't be removed will be required. Or a lid requiring a key or tool.

So just because a simple blank may be OK with one board does not mean it can be used with all boards. I normally use repair washers either side of hole with bolt through them.

What??

You mean you don't braze a patch over the hole on the inside, flush fill the hole on the outside, rub down and then spray with the appropriate RAL colour??

Shame on you.

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back