Pattress box 15mm spacer / extender

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Does anyone know where I can purchase a couple of 15mm spacers / extender rings to fill the gap between a shaver front plate and the back box in a stud wall. I have found 10mm and 20mm ones but 15mm is what I need.

Thanks in advance.

Mutley56

Sponsored Links
The box is in. Wall Tiles are on. Half height tiled wall. Shaver point crosses junction between wall and tiled wall below. Tile cut covered by face plate for neatness so the gap behind the top of front plate of the shaver socket needs to be filled (15mm).

I'm struggling to imagine what you've got, I've only seen 10&20mm spacers I'm afraid. Maybe someone else knows of a 15mm one.

Do you mean the tiling stops halfway up the shaver socket so when you screw it back there's a gap of 15mm on the top half?

Sponsored Links
That's exactly right.
I will attempt to cut a 20mm one down to size as no 15mm ones are out there.

Thanks again

Mutley56

I think your best option will be to tile around the shaver socket.

I think what you're proposing will look odd and unless you cut it in half below the holes for the screws, won't be very strong.

I wouldn't bother trying the MK ones if you want to trim them, they're incredibly brittle

IMG_2004.JPG Here is a picture

It would have been so easy to move the box up or down a bit before you started tiling.

Any chance you can remove the tiling where the box is, and move the box up a bit?

All you need is a padsaw, 4 1.5 wood screws and 7 inches of wooden batten.

It looks terrible with an electrical box between tiling and ordinary wall.

See this was my concern. Once you cut the bottom half of the spacer off, there'll be nothing to hold the two sides in place.

Once you've got it screwed back it won't be too much of an issue.

That's if you can a) cut it back 5mm tidily and b) get the two bottom edges to sit nicely on that profile.

I think a bench sander will be your best bet to take 5mm off

Thanks fellas, I'll try adjusting the extender first, if no good then it'll have to be moving the box.

Thanks again

Mutley56

I'd be tempted to take it out completely and put a batten in the wall to put a metal back box in there. Have you drilled a hole in the tile?

Agreed, it's only going to look like a bodge otherwise. Are those tiles on top of other tiles? They look quite thick.

Its only a plasterboard wall. A few minutes work with a padsaw (or a multi tool) and a new back box and you are sorted.

Otherwise the look of a bodge is going to burn into your brain, every time you go in the room. You'll sit there on the dunny, or soak in the bath, looking at that shaver point and saying to yourself "why didn't I do that properly.......". Eventually you'll have to move house, just to get away from it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back