Pavement parking may get banned - hopefully

It won't work and won't be enforced. In my own village, there are multiple narrow-ish streets built in the 1880s where the semi-detached houses on them have no provision at all for off-road parking. I only have to think of any town/village nearby to me alone where this is the case. All the drivers park in front of their house (they've worked out their own system) and unfortunately one side has to park on the pavement to allow for larger vehicles.

If the law was suddenly enforced, half the road would have to move their cars somewhere else and there's nowhere for them to park. The main road they join which runs through the village is double-yellow lined and the adjacent road (including mine) have dropped kerbs so there's no space. Where would they go?

As an avid walker pavement parking does irritate me, granted, but when you consider the alternative I'm happy to accept it provided the vehicle leaves ample space for wheelchairs/prams/people.

Sponsored Links
In many situations, with older properties the boundary of the property runs to the street and the right of public access is limited to a right of way. You can’t stop people parking on land they own, providing they don’t obstruct a right of way on foot.

I would suggest that is only true is country areas, rather than in cities and towns.

some roads are simply too densely populated to ban parking, if owners have no off street parking.

I agree, which is why I used the word 'unnecessarily' - "to get around vehicles blocking the footpaths unnecessarily."

Sometimes it is just necessary and essential to park on pavements. Areas where streets are so narrow it is impossible for people to park without blocking the road, except by parking on the pavement, I sympathise with those people. Moving and delivery vans, where carrying heavy items in and out poses a real risk if there are people on foot passing between the vehicle and the house etc.. The law, if it gets approved, needs to be carefully worded to allow for some exceptions, but yet be able to penalise those who see it as their right to block the public footpaths with their vehicles, simply to save then an extra yard of walking - which is rife around here.

As an avid walker pavement parking does irritate me, granted, but when you consider the alternative I'm happy to accept it provided the vehicle leaves ample space for wheelchairs/prams/people.

That is the bit where it all goes wrong - some people are so thoughtless or selfish, they consider no one but themselves and their own convenience. I often see from my windows a completely empty of cars street, apart from just two cars - the two cars parked directly opposite each other, each completely blocking the pavement on their side - WHY? All they needed to do was park on the same side and one to walk across the road.

That is the bit where it all goes wrong - some people are so thoughtless or selfish, they consider no one but themselves and their own convenience. I often see from my windows a completely empty of cars street, apart from just two cars - the two cars parked directly opposite each other, each completely blocking the pavement on their side - WHY? All they needed to do was park on the same side and one to walk across the road.

Oh couldn't agree more there. That along with the obsession with parking as close to a destination as possible! Some people seem completely oblivious to their surroundings and the situation they are in and only want to get from A to B.

It now makes me chuckle when - if going to Asda or wherever - I see people getting into a state trying to park right near the entrance. I pull in and use the empty bank of spaces near the exit. Sure it might take me a minute to walk to the door, but saves all the faffing!

Sponsored Links
Anyone seen that picture of a town center with the area designed/reserved for cards grayed-out?
Its enlightening. We sacrifice so much of the world we live in and the space to cars. It is crazy that we still think this not enough and take up the footpath space as well.

Drives me nuts. It is nothing more than the driver not having the wit to understand what he or she is doing by parking on the pavement and the a selfish arrogance to think that they are the only entity of importance in that space.

Not only should it be banned, but it should be heavily policed as well.

Oh couldn't agree more there. That along with the obsession with parking as close to a destination as possible! Some people seem completely oblivious to their surroundings and the situation they are in and only want to get from A to B.

It now makes me chuckle when - if going to Asda or wherever - I see people getting into a state trying to park right near the entrance. I pull in and use the empty bank of spaces near the exit. Sure it might take me a minute to walk to the door, but saves all the faffing!

Disabled badge here and often as not, I park at the furthest parking spot from the supermarket entrance, simply to avoid getting dings in my car's doors. I only rarely take the car, only if we plan a major shop, otherwise I walk or take the bus.

I would suggest that is only true is country areas, rather than in cities and towns.

I understand why you might think that, but you have to remember that pavements are fairly new (150 years or so) many older houses boundaries cross them and you also have to consider that accuracy is also an issue. New builds and housing estates are the exception.

I understand why you might think that, but you have to remember that pavements are fairly new (150 years or so) many older houses boundaries cross them and you also have to consider that accuracy is also an issue. New builds and housing estates are the exception.

There are not that many private homes which are in that category, in built up areas. I would go as far as to suggest that the majority of homes are post 1950.

Very unlikely, but I would like to see someone get away with parking their car on my drive, without my permission :)
That was the point of me posting that link, they could just rock up and park without asking you, like certain people do with their caravans. You could ask them to leave, but if they don't what can you do? Can't physically move it or them, could result in you being prosecuted. Plod wouldn't want to know, unless you threatened said parker, then plod would be all over you in a flash. Law abiding citizens are screwed in this country.

That was the point of me posting that link, they could just rock up and park without asking you, like certain people do with their caravans. You could ask them to leave, but if they don't what can you do? Can't physically move it or them, could result in you being prosecuted. Plod wouldn't want to know, unless you threatened said parker, then plod would be all over you in a flash. Law abiding citizens are screwed in this country.

I would wait until they left and be out with my garage sized jack, or my winch, to run it out onto the public road - it then becomes not my problem any longer.

In the past, I once had a car abandoned blocking my drive - a quick call to the local police shop and land rover turned up ten minutes latter to drag it away. It left a neat pair of rubber marks on the road, which lasted for months.

You have the right to remove it but not to damage it in the process.

There are not that many private homes which are in that category, in built up areas. I would go as far as to suggest that the majority of homes are post 1950.
try coming to Lancashire Harry, the majority of houses near me were build pre 1900's.
We have thousands of terrace houses on main roads with no parking outside so we have to park somewhere else, often on the nearest side street that has space.

Myself I live on a very busy main road, I have a zebra crossing only a few yards away so cannot park near my house, nor have I been able to use the few parking spaces
actually on my road for about the past 5 years, I park up a hill/side road where there are spaces however have to use the pavement so a gritter wagon can get past.
Nobody really walks down the pathway because it's full of wet leaves all year around because the council never remove them and you slip on the pathway so people walk in the road.

So what I'm saying is that there are many different areas, pavement parking is a necessity in some of them.
Some people need re education in how they park in situations like previously mentioned.

Plus it’s all the cars

we’re I live next prop up

she has a car her old man has a car plus he works for the AA and has there car 2 people 3 cars parked out side

anither bloke next to them 4 people 4 cars plus a works van

so two props have 8 vehicles

my prop one vehicle I turn up late and I have to park down the road some where

it’s not fair :)

Sponsored Links
Back