paving slabs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys.
After digging up some soil, putting a sub-base of hardcore and filling up with dry mix, shall i fill up with dry mix up to the level or shall i leave it just a bit short to allow for the thickness of the slab? If i fill up to the desired level with dry mix and lay out my 25 mm thick slabs, then even though i hammer them down with a rubber mallet will i manage to hammer them down to the require level? Thank you so much for your help

Sponsored Links
if youre laing slabs you want to bed them on a wet mix of mortar. anything else is a waste of time

if youre laing slabs you want to bed them on a wet mix of mortar. anything else is a waste of time
Hi Thermo and thanks for your reply. Will the dry mix not harden up? I have read on some sites that even a 2 inches of sharp sand should do the job as many companies used to do and some still do..............but i think your answer is self explanatory..............but anyway should i want to go for the dry mix, would you just fill up the dug up area up to the exact level and push the slabs down or say you wanted to use 1 inch slabs, you would fill up with dry mix just half inch below the level and push the slabs down? Thanks for your time

In other words thats what youre going to do! In that case you need to allow for some compaction.

If you go for dry mix, the slabs will move and rock over time and the pointing will break up. youve got to knock up the dry mix anyway, not much harder to add water and do it properly

Sponsored Links
In other words thats what youre going to do! In that case you need to allow for some compaction.

If you go for dry mix, the slabs will move and rock over time and the pointing will break up. youve got to knock up the dry mix anyway, not much harder to add water and do it properly
Thanks Thermo for your infos

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back