Paying a professional.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I've got a question about employing a professional to do some work for me.

I'm going to put my house up for sale. Before doing so, I've decided to refit the bathroom (new suite, tiles etc. ) and the kitchen (new worktop, sink etc.)

I'm hoping to do most of the preparation work, such as removing old tiles, fittings etc. I'm happy to do any labouring work for the professional. I would buy everything needed for the job.

Rather than ask for quotes, what I would like to do is ask a professional is I can pay him for, say, five days work. Would this be acceptable? Also, what would be a reasonable charge? My house is in the north east of England.

Thanks for any responses.

Sponsored Links
day rate isnt always the cheaper option, get a price for the job from a tradesman, he may do it in 3 days for less than 5 days pay @ day rate where the guy who does 5 days at day rate might not finish it in 5 days

Thanks for the reply s60tsy.

How about me helping with the labouring work. Would this be OK?

always worth a try,but 1st see what they will charge you for all the work.
then ask,i bet there wont be much of a reduction.

Sponsored Links
'I would buy everything needed for the job.'

But would you know the correct things to buy?

I take your point foxhole.

I was thinking of buying the major items: suite, wall and floor tiles, adhesive, wbp, taps & waste fittings etc.

I'm sure there would be other basic extras, which I would be happy to pay for.

I probably sound like a cheapskate, but I'm just trying to make the house more saleable, without spending money I would not get back.

Thanks again for any replies.

Is it likely to make that much difference on the sale price,

Would it not be better to let the potential buyer the chance to redo the bathroom to their choice.

My point being you could end up with a bath that does not fit, a toilet that does not match your waste outlet, taps that don't suite your plumbing, bath waste that does not suit the layout, incorrect tile adhesive, grout etc.etc.

What you say is true, Bosswhite.

The trouble is, the bathroom looks embarrassingly bad. I don't want to put people off buying the house.

Thanks foxhole. Following your advice, I'm now thinking it is going to be best to get a professional round for an estimate, and mention that I'm thinking of buying the main items etc. A friend has recommended someone to me, so it will be worth getting his opinion.

Don't bother doing the bathroom up, just give it a good clean and a lick of paint. The estate agent will advertise the property saying that the bathroom has great potential. :D

you could be opening a can of worms too, i wanted to chuck a new suite in at my house, just changing the tiles resulted inrenewing all of the walls, i ended up with all new plumbing new floor boards new window new boiler. i wasnt selling though

The general problem when customer buys the goods themselves is if there is any problem it is down to you to arrange replacements and if you keep the pro waiting while you go off to do this his bill could be increasing all the time you are gone.

Unless the customer really knows what they're doing, they just get in the way when trying to help, and you can't boss them round like a labourer, so don't expect much off the price for doing that.

Unless the customer really knows what they're doing, they just get in the way when trying to help, and you can't boss them round like a labourer, so don't expect much off the price for doing that.

Seconded, we have a good team and would be messed up with someone who isn't used to working with us.

I'm sure most good professionals will feel the same.

Saying that, deffo get the bathroom and kitchen done, do them both to a modern high standard and if the rest of the house matches, it will increase the value.

If you are unsure, get a couple of local estate agents round and ask their opinion.

I am fairly skilled, but I'm an OAP, so didn't want to take on the whole job. Having said that, I don't think I'm grumpy or would want to get in the way.

I've decided to improve the bathroom and kitchen, to a decent standard, as
xr4x4 mentions. It's not about making money, for me it's about getting the house sold.

I'll let you know how I get on.

Thanks everyone for the responses.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back