Paying off a loan earlier.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Bought a apple laptop in May of last year. And looking to pay whole debt off early (as in now). Will I be charged what is left owed or as i'm paying back early will I receive a discount?

Sponsored Links
Lenders love drawn out, long standing loans. It's what being a loan shark is all about.

Early repayment charges or redemption charges are likely to apply.

yes read the t&c for early redemption penalties
if the loan is third party as in bought from currys and finance from rip off and sons
rip off and sons pay a big fat fee to currys so early repaying will include the comision to curries then the expected loss off profit/ expected costs

Sponsored Links
I remember some years ago, when you could save money by paying a loan early. Sadly those days are gone. The banks will penalise you for p****ng in the wrong place these days.

Yes it will depend on the T&C's but I have found in most cases you are charged up to about 3 months interest (not capital) plus the outstanding capital amount to redeem. I have done this on a number of occassions, most recently with GE Finance and had no issues.

The most ridiculous one is a phone contract, where you actually have to pay more that you would if you'd just keep making the payments. So paying it off early costs you money. That just criminal.

Paid off turned out I saved like £20 :D

Now I owe no one any money (bar mortgage) but credit score hasn't updated yet!

Sponsored Links
Back