1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

PC with XP can't find router

Discussion in 'Software' started by ericmark, 7 Mar 2013.

1. ericmark

ericmark

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    With linux live disk I can connect which to me means no hard ware problem but in windows XP can't even find the router. Tried entering 192.168.1.1 but nothing.

Other than reinstalling XP I am at a loss as to how to find what is wrong. It says the network is connected but when I try to connect nothing.

2. ericmark

ericmark

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I have found part of the problem 127.0.0.1 instead of 196.168.1.1 but when I try to alter I get "In order to configure TCP/IP you must enable a network adaptor card." However the network adaptor card is enabled.

3. Sponsored Links
  4. Astra99

Astra99

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    What is the make/model of the network card, EricMark? In Device Manager, is there a yellow exclamation or red cross by the network adapter? It might be worth downloading and installing the latest XP drivers for the card, which may be obtained from the card (or possibly PC) manufacturer's website.

The fact that it works in Linux Live implies it is most likely a driver problem.

5. Spark123

Spark123

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Starting with the basics, if you go to start, run, enter cmd, then type IPCONFIG /ALL
    This will display all your network addresses.
    If this shows one of your adaptors with an address 192.168.1.* (*= any number between 2-255)
    Type ping 192.168.1.1 and see if you get a reply from the router.

6. Sponsored Links
  7. ericmark

ericmark

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    In Windows 98se says card is:-
    VIA Rhine II Fast Ethernet Adapter
    Tried to down load now need to re-boot into XP to try.
    The Windows XP says the card is working A1 and the icon comes up saying connected but wrong address so clearly will not find modem and will not let me correct the address.

PS after a number of attempts to up-date I just removed and re-booted and all now working again.