pc wont do anything!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Starts up but will open limited programs for about 5 minutes but then wont open anything.
Clicking on anything after this does nothing at all.
Tried to run a virus scan but it runs but wont check any files.

Sponsored Links
Try running the virus scan direct from the cd it came on at boot up.

yes on xp.
there is no taskbar at all so not sure how to get onto system restore.
programs on desktop still open apart from internet.
did a complete virus scan last night.
also did a system recovery in the safe mode

Sponsored Links
To get the taskbar back try pressing the Ctrl and Esc keys together.

If that fails then the program that displays the taskbar is probably not running. This program is the explorer.exe To kick start it:
Press CTRL+ALT+DEL to fire up the task manager.
Now on the File menu, select New Task (Run...). Type in explorer and press OK. That should restart explorer and re-display your taskbar.

Next, check that your AV program has the latest updates.

Download and install SuperAntiSpyware from:
SuperAntiSpyware
Once installed, click Check For Updates. Do not run it yet.

Next, download and install Malwarebytes from:
Malwarebytes
Once installed , check for updates. Do not run it yet

Finally, download and run ATF Cleaner from:
ATF Cleaner
Follow the instructions on the download site to clear out temp files, but leaving your passwords.

Next, set a System Restore point.
Start -> All Programs -> Accessories -> System Tools -> System Restore -> Create a restore point.
Give it a name and click Next.

Having installed and updated those programs it is now time to start trying to clean your computer.

Double click to open Malwarebytes and run a quick scan. Let it remove anything it finds.

It is better to run some security scans in Safe-mode to prevent any running programs from obstructing the scan and also to prevent any virus hiding in programs.
To start in Safe-mode either :
1. Turn off the PC and when restarting keep tapping the F8 key as soon as the computer begins to start. Once you have got it to stay on the black screen use the arrow keys to select Safe-mode and hit the Enter key.
As you may miss the short time that you have to hit the F8 key there is another way that gets the computer to start in Safe-mode itself:

2. Instead of shutting down the computer as in 1 above;
Start -> Run type msconfig in the box and click OK
In the System Configuration window select the BOOT.INI Tab
In this page tick Safeboot and ensure there is a dot in Minimal.
Click Apply -> OK
You will be asked to restart, click the button.

Once the computer boots into safe mode run a full scan with your AntiVirus program.
If the option is there, quarantine anything it finds.

When the AV program has finished, you can select SuperAntiSpyware and in the scan option select FULL scan or words to that effect and run the scan. Let the program either quarantine or remove anything it finds, it may offer to make a backup or restore point, let it.
A word of warning, it will take a long time in full scan mode, but keep checking the progress so that you can make any decisions that are needed.

If you used method 1 to get into Safe Mode, Turn off the PC and start it again, it will start in normal mode.
If you used Method 2 to get into Safe Mode, repeat the instructions above, but remove the tick in Safeboot. Click Apply and Restart. When it restarts after using Method 2 the windows configuration warning will appear, just tick the box - “Do not show this message again”.

Then use the computer for a couple of hours.
If everything is OK and you are happy with it, now is the time to dump the System Restore Point that you made before the cleanup because it will have a snapshot of the infection. It cannot pose any threat to your PC unless you have to do a System Restore.

To remove all SR Points thus removing any contaminated ones:

Start -> Control Panel -> Performance & Maint. -> System -> System Restore tab
Tick Turn Off System Restore -> Apply -> OK. Then reboot your computer.

Follow the instructions above but this time untick the Turn Off SR box. No need to reboot this time.
Then set a new Restore Point as detailed just after the download instructions above.

If after all the above work you now have a clean computer system, try to keep it clean by using the above security programs to run regular weekly quick scans in normal mode. (you do not need to go into safe mode now).

dave.m many thanks for your extensive reply!!
have tried ctrl and esc buttons which didn't do anything.

also tried the task manager thing where you type epxplorer etc.
again this did nothing.

tried system restore via task bar C drive, windows, system 32, restore.
i assume that this is right.
again this didn't work

btw i keep getting a bubble at the bottom of the screen pointing to where the task bar should be saying
"system alert! your system may be infected with maliciuos software that may impact the performance of your computer. click the icon for a free scan to detect any active spyware applications"

pretty sure that this is something to do with the problem

If all else has failed, press the F8, or whatever key your BIOS says, when BIOS is booting.

This will enter Recovery mode and reload from the original installation.

You may also need to remove the partitions and logical drive to start completely from scratch.

Easy to do though, I've had to do it many a time.

thanks gas4yo
No idea how to remove partitions or logical drive!!

btw any idea which programs have to be ticked for start up?

Turn it on and go into the BIOS and monitor the temps for a few minutes - this is showing typical signs of overheating - this can cause some real issues.

Just a thought.

Rysz.

i have now got the task bar back and limited access to programs.
but no internet.
when you go to "my network places" and then "view network connections" its completely empty.
My AVG icon on the taskbar is grey and black chequers.
Got a shield on the taskbar that flashes from blue with a question mark to red with a cross. And clicking on it does nothing

I personall would wipe the hard drive and reload.

If you had done this you would be up and running again by now I would think.

I'm no PC expert, probably just intermediate knowledge, but if I have a fault like this and can't fix it after about an hour of messing about, I start again from scratch.

yes it looks like thats what im going to have to do.
just so many files and programs though!!
whats the best way to transfer everything over?

my2p worth.

transfer everything to what?

in theory you can copy everything to a another storage device, then copy it back. However it doesnt always work like that.
When you install something it puts "some code" (technical term, that) in the registry.
Without this code what ever you copy is never going to work when you copy it back, since you have wiped the registry.

Its the "main" programmes that usually wont work, like word, however any document written in word will work WHEN word is completely reinstalled. (from the origonal cd)

I fomatted my Hard drive several times over the years, and i keep back up copies of all the info on an external hard drive, and i also have hte original CD's (office etc) so after a format iput the original cds back on, then copy over all the backed up stuff.

It can take a while, but you dont loose anything, providing you do regular back ups.

There is norton ghost that copies your HD but i have never used it.

I find the easiest way to format a drive is to put it in another pc and tell the other pc to format it.

Yes you can go into the bios and do format:C but that mightbe slightly wrong, so i find it quicker to use another pc.

Sponsored Links
Back