pc wont do anything!!

I find the easiest way to format a drive is to put it in another pc and tell the other pc to format it.

Yes you can go into the bios and do format:C but that mightbe slightly wrong, so i find it quicker to use another pc.

You can also simply boot from the installation media, and format from there. Which is by far the easiest way

Sponsored Links
i just want to basically save photos and some works files really but cant seem to copy them to my external hard drive.
photos wont open either
i have 2 other pc's so im not gonna be too hasty in wiping the hard drive yet.
just wondered if it is some kind of virus that i've got?
as i said before i cant get onto to the internet from that pc

dave.m made some recommendations to load and run SuperAntiSpyware and Malwarebytes and AFT Cleaner - have you run them from Safe mode as suggested?
It is possible that you do have some malware on your system - following dave's instructions will hopefully clear your system.

The AVG taskbar being grey means that either licence failed or awaiting update. It could still be running and preventing access to internet though.
Have you tried booting in safe mode with networking and attempt to connect to the internet?

Have you resolved issues with network connections being empty?

Out of all the anti-virus/secdurity programs I've ever tried, AVG has got to have been the worst for me.

It took out my old PC, wouldn't unistall, stopped all internet access with telling me and was generally just useless in not finding virus's.

Had to wipe the HD and start again :rolleyes: :mad:

Sponsored Links
bought a new hard drive and tried to install that but have got nowhere.
bios sees it but windows doesnt.
tried to install windows onto the new drive but it wont let me.
loads but when it asks me to press F8 to agree, it wont let me!!

bought a new hard drive and tried to install that but have got nowhere.
bios sees it but windows doesnt.
Probably because there is no partition on the drive. If the drive were a blank sheet of paper, the partition would be margins and ruled lines to guide your writing; the computer won't just write to unpartitioned space. The windows setup CD will normally ask you where you want to install windows and offer to create a partition and format it for you if you pick unpartitioned space:
parallels-partition-space.png

tried to install windows onto the new drive but it wont let me.
You need to be more specific as to what "it won't let me" means

loads but when it asks me to press F8 to agree, it wont let me!!
Ditto "it won't let me"

Computers are very specific devices, and give specific error messages or behave in specific ways. In diagnosing them, we really need specifics, without personification like "it won't let me". A better report of what is going on would be:
"I see the message PRESS F8 TO AGREE but when I press the key, there is a beep sound and the screen does not change. The PageUp and PageDown keys still work to scroll the text"[/img]

Given that youre encountering spurious failures or delayed responses from your computer, it could be the case that:

The hard drive is damaged and struggling to read part of the surface. When this happens the hard drive light on the PC may be stuck on for extended periods of time and there will be no "scrabbling" noises like normal

The powersupply is defective or overheating. When a power supply cannot provide enough power to run all connected systems you can experience crashes, freezing, hard drive access problems

Something else is overheating. When major components overheat, it usually results in a crash/freeze and you cannot interact with the computer at all. It does not usually "come alive" again. Some overheats occur due to dust buildup, thermal transfer pastes drying out and becoming ineffective, sometimes even just a change in the environment the computer is in.

-

As a further guidance, if your hard drive is suspected to be faulty you can usually download software from the manufacturer's website. FOr example http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/support/downloads/maxtor_desktop/ provides software to test their drives. Additionally, most tools that test SMART reports offered by most hard drives, will test drives not manufactured by the software author. i.e. you may well find that Maxtor SeaTools will happily run a SMART test on your IBM hard drive. Most such diagnostics are free. Some such tools will offer you the option of copying data from one drive to another.

sorry im so vague!
when trying to install windows and getting to the agreement bit when it asks you to press f8 to agree, it does nothing. you can still scroll the page though.
a friend has taken out the hard drive to try and copy files over but he cant. pictures show up in the folder ok as thumbnails etc but wont open.

the other thing is that the pc kept on switching itself off so the over heating idea is interesting. it wouldnt switch back on unless i left it for an hour or so

Sponsored Links
Back