PD: 2.5m height...from which point?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Planing quiz time

I need a new outbuilding to be under 2.5m high, to be within permitted development.

I have a level slab on a sloping site. Where would I measure 2.5m from?

1) The lower end of the surrounding ground
2) The top of the slab
3) The higher end of the surrounding ground

I'd like to maximise the roof height without being at risk of future nitpickers. There's a 30cm difference between points 1 and 3

Sponsored Links
The highest adjacent point.

Here is the extracted bit from freddiemercurystwin link

"Note, ground level is the surface of the ground immediately adjacent to the building in question, and would not include any addition laid on top of the ground such as decking. Where ground level is not uniform (for example if the ground is sloping), then the ground level is the highest part of the surface of the ground next to the building. "

Keep photos if you are landscaping to prove original ground level

Sponsored Links
Hi there, have the same question as the person to whom you responded to in 2020. Can I please just check with you. We have an area that has been built up at the rear of the garden which is the whole width of the garden with a step up 23cms higher than the ground in front of it. A cabin is proposed to go on this raised area - does it matter whether this was built up say in the past few years or whether it is just a slope i.e. if the ground slopes from front to back as opposed to a previous owner deciding they want a higher section at the back of the garden. Is it possible that because it may have been a few years ago that you would not be made to lower it? We just need to be certain that we can build a cabin on this area (23cms higher which would take it to 2.73m). Does the adjacent land include the neighbours land (which we can’t really see without taking fence down) or just the land to the side of the space the cabin will go on?

Does "adjacent" mean in all directions, or only sideways?
However close "adjacent" means, does it stop at your boundary?

So if you live on the slopes of a mountain the height restriction could be hundreds or thousands of feet, rather than the height at your back fence?

Does "adjacent" mean in all directions, or only sideways?
However close "adjacent" means, does it stop at your boundary?
That is precisely what I need to know. If the gardens either side are 23cms lower than my garden can I still build up a further 2.5m?

It is solely the land on your property, your neighbours ground level is irrelevant
Lol.

What if the development is the boundary and the only ground adjacent to it is the neighbour's?

What are the rules for that? :unsure:

Lol.

What if the development is the boundary and the only ground adjacent to it is the neighbour's?

What are the rules for that? :unsure:

I'd assume there would be ground adjacent on your side of the boundary also, unless the building hovers?

But on a more serious note, I have the same query, looking at building a garage/workshop at some point down the line at the end of the garden, but both houses at the end have gardens which are about 0.5-1m higher than mine (including one who has just build a summerhouse to the 2.5m regs which is enormous from our side of the fence!) so wondered whether this would then be used as the highest reference point as its going to be just a cm or two from the foundation/building?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back