PD for change of use

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good morning
I'm looking at trying to use PD rights to change the use of a betting shop to a flat.
Probably won't get it but as the chance of finding a new commercial tenant in a tertiary parade given the current climate is highly unlikely it's worth a punt.

It's 65 m2 internally so a 2 bed flat would be fine. However if I could extend (which all the other shops have done) I might be able to get 2 x one bed flats.

However the architects I have had initial chats with say that you can't use PD rights for change of use if the plans include extending the property.

Is this correct? Is there any way around this?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
PD is permitted, you don't need to apply or try, if the change of use is PD you already have permission!

Domestic PD does not apply to flats though, so the extension will require planning permission.

PD is permitted, you don't need to apply or try, if the change of use is PD you already have permission!

Domestic PD does not apply to flats though, so the extension will require planning permission.

Hi Woody
I understand that PD when in respect to residential extensions means no permission needs to be sought.
However my (limited) understanding of PD with respect to change of use is that it's a different kettle of fish.
The Planning Portal says that you can have a change of use from betting shop to C3 but with 'prior approval'

Thanks
20210321_105055.jpg

That's what I'm saying. If the change of use is PD, then that's it. The extension has nothing to do with it.

Sponsored Links
That's what I'm saying. If the change of use is PD, then that's it. The extension has nothing to do with it.

Hi

If I wanted to extend to allow more space given it's a commercial premises I understand that it will need PP. So which way around would you do things?
1) Apply for PP for the extension and once that is granted then apply for change of use based on the proposed increased foot print?

2) Or would you apply for change of use based on the current footprint, and if that was granted then apply for the extension? ie once change of use was established in principle then we could adjust it to include the new proposed extension (once granted)

Hope that makes sense!!

Thanks

Operational development (under the relevant PD class) must not result in any increase in the building's external dimensions, so I guess you have to extend first, and change use after. If it was me, I'd seek professional advice from a planning lawyer before proceeding.

Last edited:
Operational development (under the relevant PD class) must not result in any increase in the building's external dimensions, so I guess you have to extend first, and change use after. If it was me, I'd seek professional advice from a planning lawyer before proceeding.

Hi
Yes, I have employed planning consultants but always like to gather my own information as well.
Thanks

You should always be able to rely on those you employ, otherwise you have employed the wrong people

You should always be able to rely on those you employ, otherwise you have employed the wrong people

One line philosophies like that may read well on forums, but in real life they are useless and irrelevant.

One line philosophies like that may read well on forums, but in real life they are useless and irrelevant.
It applies to real life

What is the point in employing a professional consultant, not believing the advice they give you and then asking randomers on the internet?

What do you do then, go back to them and say "some random joe says that you are wrong"?

If you can't rely on the professional advice you are being given then there is something wrong with that relationship that needs addressing. Otherwise you just end up questioning everything. And that's not a philosophy, just common sense.

If this forum's taught us anything, it's that there's no such thing as common sense

It applies to real life

What is the point in employing a professional consultant, not believing the advice they give you and then asking randomers on the internet?

What do you do then, go back to them and say "some random joe says that you are wrong"?

If you can't rely on the professional advice you are being given then there is something wrong with that relationship that needs addressing. Otherwise you just end up questioning everything. And that's not a philosophy, just common sense.

When did I say that I didn't believe them? That's a fair jump from what I actually said which was "I like to gather my own information as well"

If the rest of your "philosophy" is based on that misinterpretation and subsequent misrepresentation then no wonder it's flawed.

You ask a lot of questions. May I ask you one?
Have you ever invested a significant amount of money in a development project?
Yes.

And in selecting the professional advisors, I made sure that I could rely on their advice.

The best business outcomes are built on trust not contractual arrangements. Remember this philosophy that you read online. (y)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back