PDF writing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Something I noticed which might be useful to others. I wanted to save a document from the internet (a satnav manual as it happens). This came up as a PDF. I did what seemed the obvious thing, clicked on print/pdf writer, and went through the rigmarole. But the resulting document wasn’t right, bits missing from the top and bottom of each page.

I noticed that if (in the internet page) I right-clicked, a box came up with Save Page As. Clicking that I could save directly where I wanted it. I thought maybe it would only save the current page, but it does the complete document, and does it properly.

Apologies if all this is well known to most users, but I found it so useful I thought I’d pass it on.

Sponsored Links
Acrobat can be a right pain.
It may be Print As Image that you wanted, or indeed used. It can be hard to find because they change how things look so often:
upload_2021-5-31_1-47-59.png

I use Acrobat Pro; even with that some things just don't work properly.

Acrobat can be a right pain.
It may be Print As Image that you wanted, or indeed used. It can be hard to find because they change how things look so often:
View attachment 235184

I use Acrobat Pro; even with that some things just don't work properly.
I use PDF995, apart from what I said earlier on short docs it has always worked OK, so haven't tried any of the others. The satnav manual was 136 pages. I found an Advance Print setup box, but it doesn't look like yours, and can't see Print as image. But it doesn't matter, I've got it sorted.

I also use the PDF995 suite.
It has some really good features like being able to extract pages, alternate pages etc.

Other free pdf writers are available.

Sponsored Links
What I could use is an edit-protect password facility which isn't trivial to crack. Have you tried their security?

With normal acrobat files, if you can open it, then you can remove all the other protections easily. Lots of free online tools can do that.

If you "Edit post" here you can upload a file. I assume that's any file, so if someone would like to upload a readable but edit protected pdf file I could have a go... :).

Last edited:
I also use the PDF995 suite.
It has some really good features like being able to extract pages, alternate pages etc.

Other free pdf writers are available.
That's right, but the point I was making is that if a document is in PDF format on the internet you don't need a PDF writer, you can just save it.

Back