Pedestals and toilet? Around or under?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Not sure if this is in the right bit(Plumbing?), but our house came with the bogs and sinks attached to the floor direct.
We had just used vinyl but the time has come to do it properly to last and having read the very useful "sticky" it advises 12mm WBP+adhesive+tile thickness?
So, that will raise the level 20-25mm? I can remove the pedestal and the toilet can be unscrewed(probably a push fit set of pipes?)
Can anyone advise what's best in this situation? If I go under which is what I want it looks like a set of hassles, but I don't want to cut around them either as I think it would be cleaner in terms of looks and hygiene?
Do pro tilers just cut around them?
I've got a grinder and could make templates to cut tiles, if I did this it might not be so bad(stonemason used to cutting things! :confused: )
(Any advice appreciated, there's not any play in either so that means they'd need removed and repositioned?)
Cheers

Sponsored Links
You picked the right forum & no question, tile under. It’s not hassle, just a normal part of the job including any plumbing involved; cutting tiles around is not really a soft option & will look totally naff! Remove all the sanitary ware, tile the floor & then refit the sanitary ware. If you don’t want to overboard, you can always replace the floor with WBP & usually keep the same overall floor thickness; read the tiling forum archive posts for how to do. Use only quality trade adhesive/grout products if you want it to last.

Cheers Richard, so presumably that's removing the toilet never taken one off before, is this straightforward, and if there's no play does this mean the pipe down from the cistern needs shortened(it's a concealed one?)? What about the waste pipe is that flexible at any point to allow the new raised height?
As for the sink, would need to remove the pedestal and remove the H/C supply at isolators, do floor and re-attach to wall, fit pedestal, reconnect plumbing?

so presumably that's removing the toilet never taken one off before, is this straightforward
Yes remove the toilet (drain the water from the pan first); it’s straight forward but if you don’t already have service valves fitted to the water supply it’s a little more tedious as you have to shut the water off. If so, cut the old fitting off short & fit a service valve, you can then connect the loo with a flexible but, more importantly, you can reinstate & remove the loo with little effort that merely involves closing the service valve & draining the cistern. Don't know how your concealed cystern couples but you may have to raise it.

and if there's no play does this mean the pipe down from the cistern needs shortened(it's a concealed one?)?
As above cut the old pipe short, fit a service valve & a flexi from there.

What about the waste pipe is that flexible at any point to allow the new raised height?
There is usually a Mutiquick fitting which can be adjusted to take care of practically any height difference & configuration; as long as you don’t try & run it uphill.

As for the sink, would need to remove the pedestal and remove the H/C supply at isolators, do floor and re-attach to wall, fit pedestal, reconnect plumbing?
Yes remove the lot, everthing; not sure what your “isolators” they may be already service valves fitted but, as above, fitting service valves & flexis to each tap will make it simple to disconnect & connect the sanitary fittings as & when you want.

Sponsored Links
The concealed cistern I installed is connected to the pan with a plastic bended pipe which I had to cut to size. If yours is the same, it is 5 minutes job.

What do you have on the wall above/around the sink and the toilet cabinet? If the area is tiled, you might need to adjust this as well because of the different floor level.

And if the pan and the sink are old, be prepared that something may break while dismantling them. Sometimes it makes sense to buy new cheap suit than trying to fix the old staff.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back