Pendant flex temp rating

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a B22 ceiling pendant I want to lower.

What temperature rating should the 2 core flex be?

Sponsored Links
In the main 60°C is used, however it does depend on how hot it gets, as well as 60°C you can get 70°C and 90°C even when we know the cable will take well over 90°C as with mineral insulated it is still classed as 90°C as the local sleeving and terminals will likely not take over 90°C.

But with a LED bulb fittings don't get that hot, I noted this
ikea-ps-2014-pendant-lamp__0607399_PE682949_S5.JPG
lamp from Ikea actually states max bulb size as 13W, which to my mind seems crazy, to design a light that in this case takes a standard E27, but would not matter if BA22d, which has such a low limit seems crazy, so in that case I would be using Butyl cable which is rated at 85°C, but in the main unless some odd situation where it can over heat, then any flex would be OK.

Thanks for posting!

This is the type of fitting and it'll working with a B22 7W LED candle.

If I get 1m of the 90°C flex, there's no bother if a hotter bulb gets fitted later.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
Make sure you get a T2 lamp holder if you're bothered about high temps.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back