Pergola/screening planning guidance

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I now have a design for the screen structure (see image below) that I want to build in the corner of the garden. I've been trying to find the planning rules for this type of structure but cannot find any. Can someone point me in the right direction please? I have found lots of different bits of info regarding max height etc but nothing definitive from planning portal website.

If someone could provide a link to the definitive info that would be great.

Many thanks,

Ed

Attachments

• Proposed Pergola-screen.PNG
    Proposed Pergola-screen.PNG
    773.5 KB · Views: 40
Sponsored Links
The height of the raised deck/patio would be a maximum 300 above the highest adjacent existing ground level. How close to the boundary is it?

I think I've found the answer to my own question in the Government Permitted development rights for householders guide https://assets.publishing.service.g...e/830643/190910_Tech_Guide_for_publishing.pdf . This is the document that the planning portals refers to. My structure will be within 2m of the boundary so I think I'm limited to 2.5m max height.....

"Class E – buildings etc

E.1 Development is not permitted by Class E if –
(e) the height of the building, enclosure or container would exceed -
(i) 4 metres in the case of a building with a dual-pitched roof,
(ii) 2.5 metres in the case of a building, enclosure or container within 2 metres of the boundary of the curtilage of the dwellinghouse, or
(iii) 3 metres in any other case

The height of the building, enclosure or container should be measured from the highest ground level immediately adjacent to the building, enclosure, or container to its highest point. The height limit on a ‘dual-pitched roof’ of 4 metres should also be applied to buildings that have ‘hipped’ roofs (slopes on all four sides). If any part of the building, container or enclosure is within 2 metres of the boundary of the curtilage of the house, then the height limit for the total development is restricted to 2.5 metres if it is to be permitted development."

The height of the raised deck/patio would be a maximum 300 above the highest adjacent existing ground level. How close to the boundary is it?
Thanks. It’s within 2m. Will be, at the closest point about 40cm to the boundary.

The ground was sloped so I have levelled the top part, where the patio is so it’s within 300mm of the original level. The bottom part will be lower than the original in places.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back