periodic inspec query

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A colleague is carrying out a PIR on an old commercial premises. There is an old pipe that rises up through the floor in this part of the building. This pipe rises up at the positon where an old fireplace was, which is now bricked up. I have had a look and think its a relatively old gas pipe, but cant see if it was ever used and cant trace it on any floors below. (appears on third floor)
Now, does this need bonded back to the MET?

ta.

Sponsored Links
If it is accessible to touch, then yes. It is an extraneous conductive part.

If in any doubt as to whether it reappears elsewhere and is accessible to touch, then bond anyway. I don't think you can do any harm with an approach like this.

What do you and your colleague think?

I said bond and he said not to. He argued that it wasnt in service and that only an inch or so is exposed and therefore accessible.

Sponsored Links
In use or not, what you're bonding for is to counter the possibility of introducing another 'earth' potential into the premises. so if someone touches it they may have a better path to earth than via the MET. So you bond it as soon as it comes into the area to ensure it's at the same potential and your EEBADS isn't compromised by the pipe.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back