Periodic inspection - money well spent

I can't think why you'd need 100's of A at 230V rather than 12V to test an MCB.
The voltage is obviously totally irrelevant - the MCB knows only about current. Hence 12V AC would be just as good as 230V AC. It's 12V DC I'm far less sure about.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
I don't think AC/DC matters for MCBs, although it is critical for RCDs.
As you say, DC simply won't work with an RCD.

As for (the magnetic part of) MCBs, I really am not sure. I'm not sure whether a constant magnetic field would necessarily have the same effect on the trip mechanism as a corresponding 'alternating' (at least, varying, if examined for less than a cycle) magnetic field, nor whether (as with power) a given DC current would have the same magnetic effects as an AC current whose RMS value was equal to the DC current. Furthermore, as I've already mentioned, I wonder if a very large DC current might permanently magnetise some parts within the MCB, thereby possibly affecting subsequent performance.

Maybe someone knows the answers?

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
I'll bet that an AC rated MCB switching DC would do the contacts in.

Yes. If for example there are items with variable-speed drives or inverters, there can be a high DC content in the earth leakage current. Such items are getting much more common in domestic situations - microwave ovens, washing machines, fridges etc commonly use inverters.

Yes. If for example there are items with variable-speed drives or inverters, there can be a high DC content in the earth leakage current. Such items are getting much more common in domestic situations - microwave ovens, washing machines, fridges etc commonly use inverters.
That's probably true, but are the RCDs usually found in domestic installations of a 'sort' which will detect DC imbalances (and with the same IΔn as for AC imbalances)? (that's a real, not rhetorical, question, because I don't know the answer!)

I'll bet that an AC rated MCB switching DC would do the contacts in.
Not necessarily.
When breaking the supply on a fault, there's a high power supply so when the contacts open, there's the voltage and energy to initiate a spark. Basically, you've got a supply capable of putting 240V and hundreds of amps into the spark.
When testing with a low voltage test rig (I've been toying with Variac and welding set for some experiments - though that might not have the right turns ratio), there's a much lower energy available, and a much lower voltage. In principle, you only need enough volts to push the required current through a very small resistance - and I bet that's not more than a volt or two given that we don't have (in normal operation :whistle:) MCBs glowing due to the IR losses through them. So when the contacts open, there really isn't the voltage there to get an arc going.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back