Periodic Inspection Reports

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am still shocked at the amount of companies or individual electricians are getting the PIR process wrong.

I tried to explain the process to someone again today and yet again there was major disagreement. They had electricians doing informal checks then reporting back to the client on cost of remedial work for defects. If it was affordable the client was having the work done at which point a satisfactory PIR is issued. I'm assuming they also issue an MWC or EIC.

Please pitch in if you agree or disagree with the following statement... The PIR is used to report on the current condition of the installation and your starting point is having a PIR carried out. You address any mandatory or optional coded failures then issue an MWC or EIC, these documents then get attached to the unsatisfactory PIR and it then becomes satisfactory, though you do not alter the PIR to say 'satisfactory'.

I have in the past managed a large team of electricians and was the registered NICEIC supervisor for the business so I've had this discussion with them in the past but unless anything has changed then you do not issue a second 'satisfactory' PIR after remedial works and you absolutely do not use the PIR process to certify installations.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
I think what he is getting at is that PIRs no longer exist, now replaced by EICRs (Electrical Installation Condition Report)
Hopefully the OP is also aware of this, as the codes have changed as well, for a start theres only 3 codes, to the old 4.

I am still shocked at the amount of companies or individual electricians are getting the PIR process wrong.
A bit like yourself then. They are now called Electrical Installation Condition Reports (EICR) and are different to the old Periodic Inspection Reports in a number of ways - its in the IEE Wiring Regulations 2008 amendment 1.

I tried to explain the process to someone again today and yet again there was major disagreement. They had electricians doing informal checks then reporting back to the client on cost of remedial work for defects. If it was affordable the client was having the work done at which point a satisfactory PIR is issued. I'm assuming they also issue an MWC or EIC.
The Inspection is a private arrangement between the client and the electrical company/individual who both agree the scope and limitations of the inspection. Whether they want a before or after EICR is up to them to agree, although if I was doing the inspection myself I would always complete the before anyway for my own records.

Please pitch in if you agree or disagree with the following statement... The PIR is used to report on the current condition of the installation and your starting point is having a PIR carried out. You address any mandatory or optional coded failures then issue an MWC or EIC, these documents then get attached to the unsatisfactory PIR and it then becomes satisfactory, though you do not alter the PIR to say 'satisfactory'.
The purpose of the condition report is to confirm so far as reasonably practicable, whether or not the electrical installation is in a satisfactory condition for continued service.
There are no mandatory failures - you advise the client regarding C1 items 'Danger present the safety of those using the installation is at risk' and recommend their immediate repair. C2 for potentially dangerous and C3 improvement recommended. Most clients have a repair C1 and C2 issues immedately built into the Inspection.

I have in the past managed a large team of electricians and was the registered NICEIC supervisor for the business so I've had this discussion with them in the past but unless anything has changed then you do not issue a second 'satisfactory' PIR
There is nothing to stop you issuing a second satisfactory EICR if the client wants it.
I did a number of Inspections on holiday cabins recently and the management company required 'satisfactory' EICR's even when accompanied by Minor Works Certificates for any work done.

and you absolutely do not use the PIR process to certify installations.
About the only thing I can agree with you.

If the insurance company say they want a satisfactory EICR then sending them a unsatisfactory one with attached minor works is useless.

The person reading the report is likely not electrical and all they are interested with is the word satisfactory.

I have read some reports OK when called PIR with some codes which just did not make sense with code entered but no reason given for code and I was to rectify a fault I just could not find. I will assume the guy was generating work for himself but to me a code without a note of why the code is given is useless.

The Hotel it seemed wanted an independent report by some one not doing the work. Does make sense. However code 2 and no fault found how can one issue a minor works to cover no fault? There was only one option another PIR without showing the guy the first PIR.

The Electrical Safety Council have laid out what codes should be issued it shows a lovely picture of adaptors so extra 13A plugs can be used and uses it as an example. How plug in adaptors become part of the installation I fail to see! OK maybe dangerous but be it match sticks in the plug holes or any other dangerous practice clearly writing it down as a code without saying why it's unlikely to still exist when next guy arrives.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back