Permanent feed off 2. Way switch?

Although by design the house is RCD protected so the worst that would happen would be a blown fuse.

RCDs won't protect you if you put yourself between line and neutral. And you'd be pretty damn cooked by the time the MCB tripped. And you can still be killed by a shock if you have a heart condition, RCD or no RCD.

Please leave the electrics to an electrician if you can't even figure out the difference between AC and DC..

Sponsored Links
you might also want to check that the RCD you speak of actually does protect the whole house....
If it is a standard split load board, then around half of the circuits will be RCD protected, the others not. There is a reasonable chance that the downstairs sockets will be protected by the RCD, but the upstairs ones maybe not.

Basically I'm saying that just because your consumer unit has an RCD, it probably doesn't protect all the circuits in your house.

Best way to check would be to hit the test button on the RCD and see if the socket that you spurred from goes off.

You might be fine, but it's as well to check.

Sponsored Links
No.

Just that that I'm not the only one who thinks that it's stupid for people to decide that it's OK for them to do electrical work when they know that they don't know what they're doing.

Funny that, isn't it.

Ah FFS, I was being flippant.

We all know that its not a good idea to go doing things we are not sure about, especially with electric. So that is why I came here, to learn and seek advice, not to get grief off you so give it a rest.

Advice to everyone. Don't assume red is live and black is not, I did and although it was all fine, it may not have been. If in doubt seek advice.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back