Permavent Easy slate 500

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Has anyone used this system called easy slate 500 for low pitch slate roof, wondered it it would also work with Marley moderns which is not a slate I know but presume the concept of it is the lift a tile to reduce capillary and to put a channel under the tile joins, thanks https://www.permavent.co.uk/products/easy-slate/ wondering if it's a reasonable way to go down in pitch to 12.5 instead of the 17.5 usual minimum of moderns.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Okay thanks, I’d come across some locally left over from a job and just crossed my mind, have this extension we did and now converting garage which has been extended and got a temporary roof, it’s 12.5 degrees I can’t go higher, want to do that bit first as it’s business workshop currently in main garage, extension is Marley moderns, there will be a box gutter joining the two of them, south facing and Oxfordshire so not extreme weather area (yet!) had hoped for a flat matching style but looking like pitch is the issue, prefer tiles as can see roof from extension and would look nicer, photos from rear bedroom, joists are in 150mm, 400 centres with every 4th having another between it and the following one for added strength and might have solar panels later. Any smooth flat options without costing a fortune or are redlands better than mendip 12.5's ? (Also noticed some huge leadtimes on tiles!) I could board, felt and counter batten then tile but adds weight, cost, time and height and none of those appeal strongly. I had contemplated winging it with some moderns and seeing if they leaked at the pitch but risky strategy being a workshop with expensive kit in

Attachments

• 282529E1-E37A-4123-BAC2-8FFFFC457DB9.jpeg
    282529E1-E37A-4123-BAC2-8FFFFC457DB9.jpeg
    378.6 KB · Views: 79
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
My advice is make it a rubber roof and put a large skylight in the middle if its going to be a workshop.

It's intended as multipurpose overall, the new end is workshop and a bit of the old, already got french doors one side and window at back so plenty light and don't want direct light on the equipment plus would like solar on roof when funds allow. The front end has a door going through from extension and is to be the front office of business come second social room as it were for kids. Tiled is preferred look as will be visible on patio, just ideally would blend with extension but that said I guess the only place you can see them is from a bedroom window!

What stuffs things up is leadtime on tiles currently, when did extension my tiles here within 2 weeks and from a local co too, no delivery cost. Now it's 3-4 months for Marleys, and that's at minimum for the mendip 12.5's which I though maybe I'd try a pallet on the bit temporarily covered and see what I think before doing the rest. The temp roof has some OSB on it that I used previously to protect the driveway, it's rough and ready and been soaked but has held up, the membrane is just some dpm but it's been a bit leaky after wind got under it. Suppose I could cover with some sheets of onduline or something and crack on with the inside fit out of insulation, plastering etc and roof it later because I need to move into it to do the remaining garage as that's where I work at the moment and I need to take roof off, joist it etc so contents needs to move.

Thanks yes did that, some horror stories aren’t there! Actually Found local supplier with some redland regents in stock so going to get a few to see what they look like. Also discussed it with Marley technical who confirmed they wouldn’t recommend the moderns at that pitch which I knew but still asked, only in case there were scenarios where it’s possible. Not a fan of how wavy tiles look but they are probably stronger than moderns which do appear to break rather too easily, guess being so flat theres not the strength than shaped tiles get

Mini stonewolds are a good tile . Still won't do that pitch though .
Board it , counter batten it , torch on over it then fit any tile you choose

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back