Permitted development question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is adding an extra storey or two to a residential detached house permitted development?
If so why aren’t people going about doing so.
Can I add 2 floors of 3.5m each to the first floor of my detached house without any planning permission. Keeping roof the same.
Thank you

Sponsored Links
could be wrong
if you are talking a house permitted development is always single story backward or within loft so same profile at roof [with backwards facing dormer windows with flat roof detail nothing on top off whats there
town house or flats seems to be a different concept with storeys added if strong enough but not exactly sure

Last edited:
Is adding an extra storey or two to a residential detached house permitted development?
Maybe
If so why aren’t people going about doing so.
They are, just not with volumes of success because the councils still have a veto that is exercised often
Can I add 2 floors of 3.5m each to the first floor of my detached house without any planning permission.
Depends what you mean by "first floor". If you mean the sole floor of your detached bungalow then the answer is "not without a planning application". If you mean the upper storey of your two storey house then the answer is "maybe under, if you can convince the council it's a good idea and no other disqualifying criteria applies, otherwise it's a full planning application"

See also

And a good, in-depth article:

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Yes you can add two storeys under PD if you meet the criteria.

Why isn't everyone doing it? Why isn't everyone shopping at Aldi and driving Kia"s?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back