Permitted Development: Where is the rear of my house?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

For the purposes of gaining a certificate of lawful development, are there any planning consultants out there that would care to comment on where my council is likely to think the rear of my house is?
position-png.107130

Any thoughts welcome.

Many thanks.

W.

Attachments

• Position.png
    Position.png
    12.5 KB · Views: 704
Sponsored Links
I would say from the point where those walls join. I am nowhere near a planning consultant, I'm just trying to "get into the mind " of a council bureaucrat;)

Draw a horizontal line through the front door, and anything above it is the rear.

In a crunch, the elevation with the original back door in it, if there was only one originally.

This assumes that there is no road or path adjacent to one side of the house

Sponsored Links
Draw a horizontal line through the front door, and anything above it is the rear.

In a crunch, the elevation with the original back door in it, if there was only one originally.

This assumes that there is no road or path adjacent to one side of the house
What's that based on woody?

What's that based on woody?

I made it up. :whistle:

There is DCLG guidance and appeal decisions starting that there can be more than one rear wall.

But a council planner may argue if he was minded to, that using the principles that define the principle elevation, that the rear wall/elevation is the one with the rear door in it. But in this scenario, I think that would be outweighed by all the other factors of this particular design.

The planners will think whatever you tell them to think - if you tell them convincingly enough.

maybe it would help if the OP came back with what it was he ideally wanted to do. for example if his plan was to use the apex of the two side/back walls as his point of reference then he may fall out of the remit of PD dependant on how wide he intended to build.

Hi all,

Thanks for your responses. Apologies for not responding sooner. I didn't get a new email notification after reading the first two replies.

It appears there is room for interpretation which is good because in a sensible world, I could build my preferred design, however we are dealing with bureaucrats that love nothing more than flexing their given authority, so we have to play games of reverse psychology, meaning I'll have to submit plans for something I don't want and then modify them to what I actually want; letting them think I have conceded to their want.

Unless anyone can correct me, I am under the impression there are no hard and fast rules around PD, it looks like I will have to continue searching for a Planning Consultant that actually wants my business. That way the Planning Consultant can ratify my design and argue my case.

Laying my cards on the table:
The property in question is a detached bungalow sitting in 1/2 acre. Therefore the only "rule" that seems applicable is:
"Single storey rear extension must not extend beyond the rear of the original house by more than 3m an attached house or by 4m* if a detached house. "

*8m, subject to neighbour consultation - and as they wouldn't be able to see the extension, I can't see they can "reasonably" object.

Below is a rough sketch of my proposal. The current extensions and conservatory would come down.
Proposal.png

Looking at the planning history for the property, a garage and small garden office were built under permitted development in 1981 and I built a 15m2 shed last year. With an 8m x 7m extension and these outbuildings, they do "not exceed 50% of the total area of land around the original house".

I am contemplating sinking a semi-basement by 800mm. This should allow a mezzanine floor to gain enough useful headroom for an "upstairs" bedroom without raising the ridge height and more importantly inside the 4m PD ridge height. My research suggest PP is required for a basement, therefore, I assume PD goes out the window and I'm stuck with the 25%.
Subbasement.png

Although the dimensions show 8x7, in all reality, I doubt I will be able to afford to extend to that size. Once I know what I can do, I can do the cost analysis and finalise the design.

To answer @^woody^'s question, there are no paths or roads to the sides of the property.

Any input, always welcome.

Thanks

W.

And another thing, there are mature trees (only pine) fairly close to where I would like to build. As soon as I show my hand to the council, they'll slap a TPO on the trees. If I can find a planning consultant, he can advise me whether I need to cut them down before we approach the council.

Thanks

W.

looks like your question is irrelevant as you are in the realms of a planning application anyway.
I knew you wanted to use that apex as the point of reference for the rear of the property and I'm pretty sure that the planners won't see it that way, other wise what would stop you building 8 meters out and full width.

Like so many you seem to have a bee in your bonnet before you've even begun, the PD rules do have many grey areas: fact. Despite their shortfalls, of which there can be many, a planning authority often has as much as us to go on in many cases and your inference that you will miraculously find some awe inspiring planning consultant who will seemingly know all the answers is frankly offensive considering the free advice that's already been offered here.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back