Perseverance rover entering Martian atmosphere

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
At 8:45 there will be a live link, for the 7 minutes of terror for Perseverance entering the Martian atmosphere.

The link is live now......................

But 8:45 is the projected time, for the 7 minutes to start, if all goes well this will be historic viewing.

Sponsored Links
And as it happened the damn new presenters talked all over it :(

As usual, bloody aliens already on the planet filming it all.

The Conspiracy theorists, anti NASA brigade will be chomping at the bit dreaming up fantasies of how untrue it all is and what else the plot is designed to do.

Sponsored Links
A documentary on Discovery Channel last night of the project highlighted an interesting problem they faced with the drilling and soil sampling tool.
Its drilling and sample collection mechanism almost delayed the launch by 28mths (ie the next opportunity to launch when Earth/Mars are closest) because.......it was too clean!!
To avoid contaminating the collected Mars samples with earth borne nasties, all parts were meticulously cleaned with various solvents. However when the mechanism was trialled under test conditions, they found that the friction coefficients of the moving parts had changed due to its extra cleanliness, causing the drill bits to jam inside their housings. They resolved the matter by just cleaning those parts which would come into direct contact with the samples, rather than the full mechanism.

Who would have thought that something could be too clean!!

Last edited:
I just can't help feeling that this isn't going to end well for the girl with the mousy hair.

Given the problems on planet Earth, poverty, uneven distribution of wealth, famine, unemployment, ill health, global financial crisis, global ecological crisis, global geopolitical problems that possibly could end up in a third world war, plus delays at the port of Dover and the banning of shellfish exports.

Why the **** are we spending billions trying to find out if life ever existed on Mars, I for one don't give a ****.

Given the problems on planet Earth, poverty, uneven distribution of wealth, famine, unemployment, ill health, global financial crisis, global ecological crisis, global geopolitical problems that possibly could end up in a third world war, plus delays at the port of Dover and the banning of shellfish exports.

Why the **** are we spending billions trying to find out if life ever existed on Mars, I for one don't give a ****.

Humans explore, that's what we do.

Cave dwelling is for those that didn't.

Humans explore, that's what we do.

Cave dwelling is for those that didn't.

I get that, I really do, but there's still parts of Australia that haven't been fully explored, there are still unknown animal species there. I can understand that one day we might need to colonise other parts of the universe in order to survive, but surely there must be places on earth that can be saved before it comes to that, Slough?

Science is a self perpetuating occupation. There are still scientists earning a crust by researching/examining the moon dust brought back to earth nearly 50yrs ago.
The big bang theory is a lifelong passion for some, they only need to produce a 'paper' every so often to maintain funding.

Sponsored Links
Back