Personal email address

Reaction score
Country
Cook Islands
I am changing ISP and will lose my email addresses. So I need to set up some new ones and advise my contacts.

I have seen people with personal and xmall business emails such as [email protected]. or [email protected]

And there are companies like Godaddy that sell them.

any suggestions, for trustworthy and economical suppliers, please?

Sponsored Links
Not checked the personal email world recently. Easy first fix is create a gmail account- free and not dependant on isp. Google do offer personal mail domains if you want that next step.

I was with BT for my business about 15 years ago. I changed to another provider but before I changed, I set it up to forward all emails to my new Gmail account. I still get emails forwarded on from the old address. I actually got one this morning from City & Guilds. I can't send from it though. My business Gmail account has the same prefix as my old @bt.com address.

Last edited:
Most ISPs can provide them, with various features from POP/IMAP to use with a standard email client, to full ms exchange. If you're happy with a gmail address then that's is fine, but if you want something more personal and not dependant on Google.....

I have a .me.uk domain name from Fasthosts with standard POP/IMAP and webmail access at £2.40pre mail address per month (£1 per month for the first year), plus the annual domain name fee. I can transfer that domain name to any other provider if I want to, and then set up the same email with the new provider, so I am not tied to any individual company.

https://www.fasthosts.co.uk/email-hosting

Sponsored Links
I have seen people with personal and xmall business emails such as [email protected]. or [email protected]
Two parts to this.

The domain name - the UgleyParishCouncil.org or whatever. Paid for per year, can pay for multiple years in advance in most cases.
Once you have that, it can be used for email and many other things.
The point of having your own domain is that it's not tied to any particular provider, so the situation of some ISP going out of business is never a problem ever again.
Provided you keep paying for it, it can be yours for life and beyond. The worst thing to do is to forget to renew, as everything attached to it will stop working, renewal after that is possible but can be expensive, and eventually it will be available for others to register and do whatever they want with it.
Domains from about £6 per year, some are a lot more, it's often a bit cheaper to pay for multiple years in advance. https://www.mythic-beasts.com/domains

The actual email service is a separate item, paid for per year or perhaps per month. You can have whatever you want in front of the UgleyParishCouncil.org part.
Email from £20 per year https://www.mythic-beasts.com/hosting

Many companies offer such things.
However avoid places such as Godaddy which offer cheapo deals to start with, because when renewal time arrives, they will charge vastly more and that cheap deal is now extremely expensive. While it's possible to then go elsewhere, some companies make that process complex and time consuming.
Godaddy in particular also like to promote 'free' unwanted junk extras which no one needs or wants. They may be free to start with, but once again - when renewal arrives they are not.

It doesn't actually matter who you choose.

You buy your domain (a few £) and you purchase domain hosting (a few £). I've used UK2Net before.. If you get fed up with them you simply transfer your domain to someone else. It's your domain. You are paying the host to update the internet and tell it where the names server is that hosts your domain name.

Whats to stop them jacking up their prices tenfold?
Nothing, but if you have your own domain you can move to any other provider at any time. Email addresses do not change, only where the service is provided.

Using some 'free' gmail.com or yahoo, Hotmail or whatever else means that your email address goes away as soon as you move somewhere else.

Using some 'free' gmail.com or yahoo, Hotmail or whatever else means that your email address goes away as soon as you move somewhere else.
I’ve been using my gmail.com addresses for over 10 years with numerous service providers.

I have had over 20+ gmail accounts since 2005.

My main account is only just getting full (15gb limit).
I can access it from anywhere, from any device.
Should I need more storage space then I can get 100gb for under £2 a month.
Not had a problem yet, doubt I ever will - Google is not going anywhere but up.

I’ve been using my gmail.com addresses for over 10 years with numerous service providers.
Who you access the internet with is unrelated.

The point is that if you wanted or needed to move away from Gmail, the address there is gone and you have to change that address everywhere that it's used.
By all means use these 'free' services, but don't expect them to be there forever or to remain free.

Google in particular has an extensive history of converting free products into paid services, and disposing of others completely.

Sponsored Links
Back