Petition to get rid of the Lords

we need the house off lords to bring some balance to the extremes off any party look at blair or thatcher
it stops political parties thinking they have the god given right to impose progressivley more extreme policies
Exactly. The Lords are a good thing, and worked best when they were hereditary ("ordinary men selected from among the unemployed" as Lloyd George put it) rather than cronies cherry picked by our glorious leaders.

Sponsored Links
Hereditary Peers. The House of Lords Act 1999 removed the entitlement of most of the hereditary Peers to sit and vote in the House of Lords and of the 92hereditary Peers who retain their seat in the Lords, 75 were elected by their fellow hereditary Peers

https://www.parliament.uk/site-information/glossary/hereditary-peers/
90 are elected.
Most of them by conservatives peers.
The Act provides that 90 of those 92 seats are to be elected by other members of the House: 15 by vote of the whole house (including life peers), 42 by the Conservative hereditary peers, two by the Labour hereditary peers, three by the Liberal Democrat hereditary peers, and 28 by the crossbench hereditary peers.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hereditary_peer

Sponsored Links
@wannabeDIY Yes but do you have a say over the people in power in that house?
Though we should as they have power over us.
I have no say over the prime minister or her cabinet, or the other MPs.
I can only vote for one MP, or one candidate MP.
I can only express my political desires to one MP, whom I may not have voted for, and who may be acting against my political beliefs.

I have no say over the prime minister or her cabinet, or the other MPs.
I can only vote for one MP, or one candidate MP.
I can only express my political desires to one MP, whom I may not have voted for, and who may be acting against my political beliefs.
Shsssh...

notch/'softus' insists you start another topic if you wish to question the electoral system of this 'great' country ;)

There is an argument that the whole party system doesn't serve the people as its a way to keep out challengers. But then a country with 200+ independant MPs would result in little getting done.

But then a country with 200+ independant MPs would result in little getting done.
Germany is really f ucked then...

Or Belgium...

Or the Netherlands...

We in 'little england' of course have the the highest regard for our general population given our FPTP system! (y)

We in 'little england'

It seems strange to me that people want to live in this country through their own choice but like to ridicule it at every opportunity.....

some regions of Europe have very low densities, lots of room for unpleasant pedants to lose themselves :ROFLMAO:

Germany is really f ucked then...

Or Belgium...

Or the Netherlands...

We in 'little england' of course have the the highest regard for our general population given our FPTP system! (y)

Are you suggesting they don't have political parties? o_O

90 are elected.
Most of them by conservatives peers.

"90 of those 92 seats are to be elected by other members of the House: 15 by vote of the whole house (including life peers), 42 by the Conservative hereditary peers, two by the Labour hereditary peers, three by the Liberal Democrat hereditary peers, and 28 by the crossbench hereditary peers"

I wonder why that is

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hereditary_peer#Roles

Or to be more accurate, I wonder how the tories still manage to get away with it.

But then that's conservatives for you. Crooks to the end.

À la lanterne!

It seems strange to me that people want to live in this country through their own choice but like to ridicule it at every opportunity.....
Are you suggesting that no forms of improvement may be proposed?

Are you suggesting countries are static unchanging entities with the condition that, should you happen to be born here, thou shalt accept everything as it is for ever?

Would you like to go back to the middle ages or have the changes since then made it better?

Is there no more that could be done?

Notch is all in favour of criticism and whining.

He and his ilk have spent more than forty years moaning about Britain being part of Europe.

Sponsored Links
Back