Petrol and diesel car sales ban brought forward to 2035

There is often put the argument, "What can a nation of 60M do?" Well, BMW, Merc, Audi and VW will not want a lucrative market to close, so one assumes they will service the electric car market in UK with vigour, as will GM from the US and all the others. So as well as 'getting it done' (see what I did there?), we cajole others to get it done too. We need more efficient, cheaper batteries? China and the others will want theirs to be cheapest and most efficient. It's a start.

Sponsored Links
But is full electric better for the global environment than hybrid, if you are still burning fossil fuels to generate electricity?
I think we had this discussion before ... memory failing.

Look on the bright side, it's just popular words from a politician.

He'll be long gone.

I'm sure he'd die in a ditch rather than U-turn.

Sponsored Links
I suppose banning petrol cars is a bit more radical than when they stopped selling leaded petrol.

The good old days when you could buy 2star, 4star and 5star

That was when you had to take off the points, give em a bit of a rub with emery paper and clean the distributer cap.
and 3 star;) Diesel was called DERV

If only we were part of a large trading organisation with the power of 445 million people........

Plenty of used Nissan leafs for under 5k. My point about the Tesla is it’s M3, AMG, RS performance for the same cash.

It’s true that the early model Ss are holding their value but the new prices which are significantly lower will soon ripple down.

3 years ago p100d was over 130k. Now it’s around 50k less.

Do these electric cars have speed limiters ? With the tesla 3p doing 0-62 in 3.2ish seconds, how can you stick to a 20MPH speed limit in built up areas ? Most electric cars have rapid acceleration, so keeping speed down could be an issue.

Why do they obsess with making cars (built for the road) that go so fast?
Cos half the fekin world's population is mental...160mph.60mph in 3seconds...Silent apart from a bit of tyre noise....What could Possiblyyy go wrong

But is full electric better for the global environment than hybrid, if you are still burning fossil fuels to generate electricity?
I think we had this discussion before ... memory failing.
Firstly, they are not suggesting it will be only electric cars on sale, but also hybrids.

Secondly, this will be a good thing overall, as more electric cars means cleaner air, and less carbon emission when you don't burn coal for electricity

Electricity is getting cleaner even now. We hardly burn any coal in the UK now*, and by 2030, will be more so. Electric cars will eventually add about 5GW to the demand on the grid, but I doubt we'll see that increase by 2030, as there will still be many ICEs still on the road.

There will still be plenty of people filling up at petrol stations, as many people do not have drives, and so going fully electric is not feasible.

Two good articles about how green electric cars are:
https://www.carbonbrief.org/factcheck-how-electric-vehicles-help-to-tackle-climate-change
https://www.volkswagenag.com/en/news/stories/2019/04/from-the-well-to-the-wheel.html

* - We'll ignore the coal mine that's just been approved in Cumbria, as this is for coke for steel.

i will be 92 then and i guess my 1.4Tdi skoda fabia will be scrapped...

if i did change car now i wouldnt go electric...hybrid sounds more sensible with some input to cleaning up fuels...the aircraft industry is doing it
dont really want to be stranded or queue up for a charge in some supermarket car park

i would stay out of cities though...

Do these electric cars have speed limiters ? With the tesla 3p doing 0-62 in 3.2ish seconds, how can you stick to a 20MPH speed limit in built up areas ? Most electric cars have rapid acceleration, so keeping speed down could be an issue.
Yes they are easy to drive slowly as are most cars with 300+Bhp or motorbike with 130+ etc

20 years ago 0-60 in 6s was insane and 150 was stupid.

i will be 92 then and i guess my 1.4Tdi skoda fabia will be scrapped...

if i did change car now i wouldnt go electric...hybrid sounds more sensible with some input to cleaning up fuels...the aircraft industry is doing it
dont really want to be stranded or queue up for a charge in some supermarket car park

i would stay out of cities though...

Depending on how you use your car, hybrid is not necessarily a good choice.
We went over to hybrid for much of our fleet some years ago. Queue a lot of complaints about awful fuel economy.
Basically, our guys do a lot of motorway miles, which don't suit the small petrol engines in the hybrids. We'd have been better off (double the fuel economy) sticking with diesel.

Sponsored Links
Back