Peugeot 206 hissing noise

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

My car (a 2002 Peugeot 206 1.1 petrol manual) is making a loud hissing noise, which sounds like it's coming from the passenger footwell. I have searched the internet and they've said that it'll be the servo. When I have looked for a new servo, they are all for cars fitted with ABS but mine doesn't have this. Could it be something else? Is the car dangerous?[/b]

Sponsored Links
The servo is basically a container that is sealed to a vacuum, and that vacuum is maintained by either depression in the inlet manifold (petrol) or by an evaluator pump, mechanically driven (diesel).
Vacuum leaks manifest themselves by a hiss, and if the leak is severe the servo assistance offered to the brake system is compromised.
The brakes don't fail, they just require much more pedal pressure.
I don't see why an ABS system should be different servo wise, but a motor factor will supply you the correct one when you order, quoting the reg number.
John :)

The servo is basically a container that is sealed to a vacuum, and that vacuum is maintained by either depression in the inlet manifold (petrol) or by an evaluator pump, mechanically driven (diesel).
Vacuum leaks manifest themselves by a hiss, and if the leak is severe the servo assistance offered to the brake system is compromised.
The brakes don't fail, they just require much more pedal pressure.
I don't see why an ABS system should be different servo wise, but a motor factor will supply you the correct one when you order, quoting the reg number.

Thanks for your reply. I am travelling to Cheltenham which is around 50 miles away from me. Do you think it'll be safe?

Sponsored Links
That's put me on the spot a bit, but the servo is a device that gives brake assistance - without it the brakes would still work but would need greater pedal pressure.
I've never known brake servos to fail quickly, but do go for a second opinion if you feel uneasy.

Back