Peugueot 406 Hdi estate handbrake

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As others seem to be having obscure handbrake problems I thought you might like to have a go at mine. Its got discs for the footbrake and drums for the handbrake, its never been right since I had it, the o/s is not to bad but the n/s hardly holds when you pull the handbrake up so hard the wife can't release it :LOL:

I have replaced both discs/drums, brake shoes and cables - no or little improvement, everything is moving freely and the manual adjusters work, the n/s shoes are wearing faster than the o/s although the linkage is quite slack when released. I have two friends with the same car and apparently the same problem, have I missed something or are they all like it. :(

Peter

Sponsored Links
Surprised to see you posting here, Peter :p
It seems like you have, naturally enough, done the obvious things!
Presumably, the replacement disc drums were new? I've had no problems with these systems particularly but I do like the adjustment of the shoes to be on the tight side and I chamfer the shoe leading edges too. All the shoes must be free to slip around on the backplate, and I lubricate where the shoes actually touch. I can't see why one side would be better than the other, unless the compensator isn't allowing equal pull on the cable. It might be an idea to keep the hand brake on the tight side too, so operation starts with one click of the lever.
When the brakes do start to bite, is there equal (ish) resistance on each wheel when you try to spin them? I also adjust the rears when the pads are out, just in case of binding there.
John :)

The appliance of science.....just thinking about this as I was peeling the spuds :confused:
The parking brake shoes are only used when the car is stationary so:
If the new shoes don't have the exact same radius as the drums, the contact area with the handbrake on is likely to be pretty small. Therefore the brake performance will be poor. This concept is unlikely to change because the shoes don't wear anyway.....often we replace them because they are rusty or have delaminated.
So - if the brakes are gradually applied from time to time, the theory is that they will wear to the same radius as the drum.....so, on coasting down hill, gently applying the handbrake should have this effect, no?
(Don't like spuds anyway, unless they are chipped :p )

You peel the spuds John :eek:

The compensator seems free enough as are the cables but the n/s brake, the poor one has about half the lining worn away so its certainly bedded in but your thought of the shoes binding on the backplate is certainly a possibility, although why only on that side?

If you pull the handbrake up while you are moving, sometimes the brakes lock solid so it does seem its possible for them to work, I will have a look before next MOT. Yes, they were new drums.

Peter

Sponsored Links
Well worth a look http://406oc.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=13956

From 406.co.uk
Bedding in of brake shoes (from passion406.com):
Find an empty stretch of road. Drive the car at approx. 30 kmh (18mph) and apply the handbrake until you can just feel the brakes starting to work. Pull the handbrake on one more click and travel 200 meters at around 20kmh (12mph). If it helps that works out at 36 seconds...

Well worth a look http://406oc.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=13956

From 406.co.uk
Bedding in of brake shoes (from passion406.com):
Find an empty stretch of road. Drive the car at approx. 30 kmh (18mph) and apply the handbrake until you can just feel the brakes starting to work. Pull the handbrake on one more click and travel 200 meters at around 20kmh (12mph). If it helps that works out at 36 seconds...

Not a million miles off, then eh :p

You peel the spuds John :eek:

The compensator seems free enough as are the cables but the n/s brake, the poor one has about half the lining worn away so its certainly bedded in but your thought of the shoes binding on the backplate is certainly a possibility, although why only on that side?

If you pull the handbrake up while you are moving, sometimes the brakes lock solid so it does seem its possible for them to work, I will have a look before next MOT. Yes, they were new drums.

Peter

Indeed I do all the cooking in this establishment, Peter.....Mrs B hasn't retired yet and it wouldn't make any difference anyway :p
Curious to hear about the wear on the shoes....binding, do you think? Often enough, I hardly get any dust out of the drums at all!

If I remember correctly, Vauxhall recommended applying the handbrake slightly and reversing for 100 yards, to excercise and clean up the handbrake shoes.

I fitted all the new bits a year or more ago and have had it apart at least a couple of times since then, I think the shoes are probably about ready for changing again, the n/s ones at least. I probably drive off with the handbrake on enough to make sure they are bedded in :confused:

Peter

Sponsored Links
Back