Phase / switching problem.

Sponsored Links
Thanks ban-all-sheds. I was advised by my local sparks that having different phases in one room, where potentially someone could connect two phases via their own bodies was not allowed (or at the very least inadvisable) - and I have to say, seems sensible. But he is the expert (or not, as the case may be). The warning labels simply point out that there are two different phases used, with potential high voltages between them...but again, as advised.

The problem I am having is finding a relay with 240v input to energise the relay, and 240v outputs for switching the other phase - all I can find (because I don't know where to look!) is low voltage switched relays that use either DC or low voltage AC to energise the relay. As you say, provided I have isolation between contacts and coil, I should be fine...are there any building regs issues in such an approach?

Thanks
Best be careful when you walk in a shopping centre, supermarket or petrol station too. Be steady when you sit in the doctors surgery, go for a swim, or press the button on a pelican crossing.

Three phase can be used in a house, on the same floor or even the same room. No neee for labels, no need for any worry.

Sponsored Links
PLAN B

As per TTC, resolve all issues, real, potential or imagined, at source, by putting everything on one phase.

I have a house which has the strangest electrics ever - converted from 3 phase. Originally, it used a three phase board, but lighting circuit, power circuits etc were random - and highly dangerous, because I could have sockets on one phase and lights on another in the same room.

I had a sparky do his best to sort it out - we now have one phase for downstairs, and one for upstairs, with the third not being used - and lots of warning labels. However, I have one issue which I cannot sort out.

Does this mean there is a multi-gang light serving the hall and landing somewhere?

Thanks all for responses, although sarcasm not entirely helpful...I took guidance, whether it was out of date or not! Plan is to move the boiler onto the same phase as the remainder of the heating system, which has the added benefit of it being supported by the battery back up in the event of power failure - the inverter can provide sufficient output. Thanks again.

Thanks all for responses, although sarcasm not entirely helpful...I took guidance, whether it was out of date or not! Plan is to move the boiler onto the same phase as the remainder of the heating system, which has the added benefit of it being supported by the battery back up in the event of power failure - the inverter can provide sufficient output. Thanks again.

Just trying to make it clear to you that you have overreacted. It has always been acceptable to have 3 phase in the same rooms ANYWHERE. Labels used to be required, but have long since not been. How likely is it to receive a shock by simultaneously damaging and touching two lives at the same time? Seriously?

As I understand it (not that I fully understand 3ph), using 3 phase allows for smaller diameter cables.
So if your now putting everything onto 1 phase, would this overload the incoming cable core being used?

Maybe you're thinking of 2/3 phase cooking appliances on the continent?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back