Philips CRT TV not powering up.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I have a Philips model 32PW9596/05. It must be about 15 years old now, the price new was £1600
The set is leather bound and still looks great the picture is spot on and I will be sad to see it go.

The set powers up with a green indicator light for a few seconds then blue sparking can then be seen inside the CRT neck the green indicator light then turns red and pulses on and off.
If its a possible to repair I will be keeping the set but if its the CRT at fault I will buy a new set. I have a RTEB certificate in radio and tv repair but that was many years ago.
Advice appreciated.
Cheers.

Sponsored Links
The CRT is down to air, by the sounds of it....

See if you can confirm that the arc is Inside the glass of the tube when you try it running with the rear cover off.

I doubt you'll find a replacement CRT easily these days, best bet would be to find its part-number and find a similar (More Common) Philips set that uses the same type tube, locate either from local recycling place or ebay....

Not a common fault for it to go to air, usually the gun assay droops/sags and shorts and gives bright raster of whatever colour affected for a few seconds before self shut-down....

Thanks for the help,
The fault was intermittent for a while, when it first appeared just taping the side of the tv cleared the problem for about a week.
The blue flashing/arcing is internal inside the tube neck. I thought it may be due to a faulty line output transformer.
I think I will be buying a new set.
Many Thanks.

We had a large Philips CRT TV several years ago. It may have been a similar model.
It was perfectly fine except that it weighed a ton if it needed moving for any reason. Also, 'er indoors' decided we needed a new flat-screen TV, so it had to go.
I was reliably informed that you just cannot sell CRT TVs these days, so we had to dump it.

Sponsored Links
I was reliably informed that you just cannot sell CRT TVs these days, so we had to dump it.

It is difficult, but the local BHF charity shop seems to be able to manage it at prices up to £40.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back