Phone-based mapping/route-finding.

and that is my point. In my experience people use a sat nav because they are unsure of the way so dont want to go down farm tracks and back roads.

If you are wanting to wander all round the countryside on a scenic travel route it is easy to plot point to point, waypoints, stop offs etc.

I’m done.
Well you may not be listening, but your point doesn't help. I've just checked my settings and the only refusal I have , is for untarmacked roads and that is the only French Waze option for types of roads. Other choices are for ferries, motorways, toll-roads , pollution-zones and difficult junctions

Sponsored Links
I also use Google and Waze together, mainly before I leave work to go home. I'll check where traffic is building up and also check the motorway cameras (https://www.motorwaycameras.co.uk/england/m1/northbound) to see what junction to take if I'm going to use the M1.

I actually never use a SatNav. I remember my parents using a roadmap as a child and how my Dad knows all the major routes to places we'd go, so thought having that knowledge sounds good. I will plan the route, write down the instructions and if there are tricky junctions I use Street View to work them out before I get there. Has never failed me.

Sponsored Links
I actually never use a SatNav. I remember my parents using a roadmap as a child and how my Dad knows all the major routes to places we'd go, so thought having that knowledge sounds good. I will plan the route, write down the instructions and if there are tricky junctions I use Street View to work them out before I get there. Has never failed me.

Which was how I used to navigate, back in the day - a long handwritten list of towns and villages to aim for, clipped to the dash, but things are very different now...

The roads are very much busier with traffic, drivers are much less patient, so you need to know which turnings you need to take, before you get to them. Much more difficult to even stop on the road, to check your route, and someone always a yard from your rear bumper.

Or just the world of knowing the road network, rather than depending on where software thinks I should go.
Not really, I typically travel a few times a week to new destinations in the locality, seeing as I'm not a taxi driver and don't possess the knowledge I have much better things to do with my time than faff about and work out the best route to Mrs Miggins of 5 Nowhere Street I've never been anywhere near rather than simply plug it into the satnav. It's not failed me yet.

Which was how I used to navigate, back in the day - a long handwritten list of towns and villages to aim for, clipped to the dash, but things are very different now...

The roads are very much busier with traffic, drivers are much less patient, so you need to know which turnings you need to take, before you get to them. Much more difficult to even stop on the road, to check your route, and someone always a yard from your rear bumper.

Completely agree with the second paragraph. There's no patience amongst many now, but I've just learnt to accept it -- if they want to overtake they can.

I'll plan my route though, and as I've built up a good knowledge of major roads/routes I'm not just blindly following a set of instructions. I have a bit of anticipation of what's ahead and what I need to prepare for. Just works for me. SatNavs don't prepare me as much as I'd like to be prepared ahead of a route.

Not really, I typically travel a few times a week to new destinations in the locality, seeing as I'm not a taxi driver and don't possess the knowledge I have much better things to do with my time than faff about and work out the best route to Mrs Miggins of 5 Nowhere Street I've never been anywhere near rather than simply plug it into the satnav. It's not failed me yet.

It's whatever works for you I suppose!

I'll plan my route though, and as I've built up a good knowledge of major roads/routes I'm not just blindly following a set of instructions. I have a bit of anticipation of what's ahead and what I need to prepare for. Just works for me. SatNavs don't prepare me as much as I'd like to be prepared ahead of a route.

My in-built nav, shows a little pictogram, of the next turn, and another of the one after it, it details the distance to each, with a diagram of the junction. On the motorway, it even shows me which lane I need to select. Apart fro the screen, it gives spoken instructions.

Sponsored Links
Back