Photoshop...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can someone explain to me how to cut out an individual from a photo and place it on another so neatly?...

Surely it isnt possbile using the cutting tool?..I gt nothing but jagged lines.

Is there another method im missing?

Sponsored Links
i dont have photo shop, but i can do similar with paint shop.

i make the viewable picture big, and the cutting tool, tool small. if you see what i mean, that way when you view picture as normal you cant see where you cut it

breezer said:
i dont have photo shop, but i can do similar with paint shop.

i make the viewable picture big, and the cutting tool, tool small. if you see what i mean, that way when you view picture as normal you cant see where you cut it

Oh exellent idea thanks, I have both...

Then you just c&p it onto a picture yes?

You are interested in the art of 'Edge' detection and 'masking' .. Automated with just a little operator influence... We do not need the scissors today !

See this Here and more on the same web site, see galleries...
This can help one get into the terminology... Searches can then really begin to bring results.
:eek:

Sponsored Links
depends what you want to do with it.

for example

i used to cut things out and save them as a gif with an invisible background, so in effetc you would only see say a monitor, not the desk it is standing on. but then i realised the a gif is bigger in file size than a jpg.

so i stopped doing it

the other thing you can do is once you have cut out what you want save it, open new picture too and copy from one to the other, knowing there will be no rough edges to be seen

Hey thanks for that both..im ging to have a dabble this afternoon..the vertustech site looks very interesting...

Cheers.

I use Microsoft digital image suite 2006. It has an edge finder that you kinda just click roughly around an object and it'll just find the main edge in that area. It works well. I just did a quick example - I'll e-mail it to you Steve. It took about 2 mins to do.

gcol said:
I use Microsoft digital image suite 2006. It has an edge finder that you kinda just click roughly around an object and it'll just find the main edge in that area. It works well. I just did a quick example - I'll e-mail it to you Steve. It took about 2 mins to do.

Anyone we know? :evil:

gcol said:
That's the little un a few months back.

Where Gar?...was there meant to be a pic up?...nothing on hotmail BTW.

On Paint Shop Pro, use the selection tool set to "Point to Point" Click at close intervals around what you want to cut out, finish with a double click when you get back to where you started from. Copy to clip board and then paste into your other image as a new layer. You can resize and move around the new layer until you get the right size and position. You can also adjust brightness / contrast etc until it looks right and then merge the layers. If you still get a jagged image when you cut out from your first image, turn on anti aliasing. Can also turn on feathering.
Paint Shop is similar.

Thanks for all that everyone...

Have almost sussed the cutting out bit...I have used the 'extract' tool in my version of photoshop 7.0...but still cant suss how to place the cut image onto another..(like the one you sent Gareth)

Have got meself a book on the subject...but it seems to favour Photoshop elements..

Open the image file that you want to move the cut out to, so they are both on the same screen

Click on the "move" tool, and then just drag the cut out on to the picture where you want it.

cut around the object using the lasso tool, ( this does not have to be fantastic ). When the dotted line appears go to edit and then copy.
Click onto the image you want to paste into and then click paste. The image will now be on a layer. If the size is wrong you will have to delete layer go back to the original pic and change image size.

if the size is right, you can drag the pic into position and then delete around the layered image using the rubber tool. You can use all sorts of 'brushes' for this.

So, rather than trying to 'cut' perfectly around an image, you copy/pste the image roughly and then 'rub-out' around it, giving you much more control.

Now that this image is on a 'layer' you can make all sorts of adjustments to it ie: colour balance, lightness, contrast etc.

Sponsored Links
Back