Phrasing me out!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am becoming more annoyed by the day and increasingly fed up with hearing precursors to sentences with...,

"to be fair....blah, blah..."

"i'm not being funny but...blah blah.."

"if i'm being honest..blah blah..."

"at the end of the day....blah blah".

It is like the people speaking are looking for a delay so that they can formulate a sentence somewhat coherently.

Anybody else get annoyed..?

Sponsored Links
To be honest and I'm not being funny but at the end of the day it doesn't bother me at all.
To be fair if it upsets you maybe we should stop using those phrases :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
To be honest and its only right and proper that i tell you this.
Its a technique taught a management training courses.
So it gives them breathing space to put there brain in gear when questioned

I'm with you on this one Noseall, the following cliches drive me mad:

'Know what I mean?'

'He/she turned round and said...' (why don't they speak facing one another?)

'Yeah?' at the end of every sentence, as in 'I was in the pub yeah'

'Work colleague' :evil: :evil: a colleague, by definition is someone you work with; end of.

'At this moment in time'

I could go on but I fear for my blood pressure :LOL:

BTW Noseall, are you from the village that has a similar name to your screen name? In which case I'm not far from you.

The current buzz-phrase that really gets my goat is "going forward". Some people don't seem to have any idea of what they mean by saying it (I remember a particulalrly fine example in a David Beckham interview), while others simply mean "in future". Why the motion :evil: :?:

"to be fair..." so they weren't being fair before?
"to be honest with you.." so they were lying through their teeth until now?

ah lets throw those ones into the pond of thought and see what initiatives we fish out!

whenever someone says at the end of the day to me i always interupt with, it gets dark. petty but i hate that phrase.

and the use of like at the end of every sentance...so i said like and i went to the shops like

women that are younger than me calling me darling

anyone calling me son, used to really **** me off. I used to tell them that only my father calls me that.

Bro and brother as well.

i get much more annoyed at people who clearly put loads of effort into what they say just to make sure they sound extra clever rather than just say whats in their head.

Yeah. it p@@@@s me off also...and the latest ones in work are "thinking outside the box"?? WHAT flipping box......."look at the bigger picture"?? YEAH that will resolve all our problems.... there must be a room somewhere in Washington dc ( thats where they all come from) dedicated to make folk sound clever

Yeah. it p@@@@s me off also...and the latest ones in work are "thinking outside the box"?? WHAT flipping box......."look at the bigger picture"?? YEAH that will resolve all our problems.... there must be a room somewhere in Washington dc ( thats where they all come from) dedicated to make folk sound clever

Ha ha, that reminds me of a new bank manager we had, he rang me to introduce himself one day and suggested 'we touch base some time' :rolleyes: WTF are you on about was my response :LOL:

The most annoying one which I have to listen to at least once a day is "are you winning?"

I am not in a race when changing a pump, boiler, or any other part of a customers heating system, but I always say "no Im in 2nd place".

The customers always seems confused when I reply.

Paul.

we need to find a window to fit this one in. you mean a space in your diary then?

it ticks all the boxes. you mean its about right

the way forward. you mean its right

we need to pass this one up the line and take a view on it. ask your boss you mean then

Sponsored Links
Back