Physics Conundrum.

What's the speed of propagation of a solid bar? The bar won't be moving instantly over that distance, as that would violate the speed of light, solid or not it will take time for the movement to propagate.

It's a physics problem, but it's not a simple one
50'000 years for the propogation, according to one source.

Sponsored Links
Let's just try to imagine that it is an infinitely rigid bar that weighs nothing
Yay! If it is infinitely rigid and weighs nothing, you have broken a few 'laws' of physics. In particular, 'nothing can travel faster than the speed of light' - in that case, the light would turn on instantly :)

Sponsored Links
Yay! If it is infinitely rigid and weighs nothing, you have broken a few 'laws' of physics. In particular, 'nothing can travel faster than the speed of light' - in that case, the light would turn on instantly :)

Are you pretending to answer the question after you've already heard the answer? Because I'm not sure that you 'get it'.

An infinitely rigid bar that weighs nothing may be beyond our current capabilities, but the existence of one breaks no laws of physics.

The conundrum relates to how long it takes the force used to travel the distance.

Are you pretending to answer the question after you've already heard the answer? Because I'm not sure that you 'get it'.

An infinitely rigid bar that weighs nothing may be beyond our current capabilities, but the existence of one breaks no laws of physics.

The conundrum relates to how long it takes the force used to travel the distance.
Technically he got there before I did.

I'm just here to see how long it takes notch to make this a Brexit thread.

It's post #24 and not even a mention. o_O Is he dead? Has anyone checked?

I'm just here to see how long it takes notch to make this a Brexit thread.

It's post #24 and not even a mention. o_O Is he dead? Has anyone checked?

I have to admit, it was intended more as a psychology test than a demographic intelligence exercise.

Anyway, with this unfeasibly long bar - which is ironically against all the laws of physics, are we to assume that those other laws still apply?

Sponsored Links
Back