pickled eggs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
how long can you keep pickled eggs for?

Anyone got any easy recipes for them?

I have tried proper pickling vinegars and they were inedible, far too strong.

Also...We have our own chucks and the eggs get eaten within days or we take them to work so people can help themselves.

Having been asked how long they can be kept... I dont know the answer do you??

I know you should not wash them because they have a protective film on them.
Also, if they sink in a bowl of water they are still fresh.
If they float then their is more air in them and they are not fresh.

So how long are fresh eggs fesh??

and how long can you keep pickled eggs?

Sponsored Links
Pickled eggs keep for about a year. The reason that pickling vinegars are used to pickle vegetables is that veg have a high water content. Eggs obviously don't contain much water so you don't need pickling vinegar.

To make pickled eggs, get some pickling jars from, dare I say it, tesco's, cost less than £2, wash them thoroughly, and put them in a warm (80 deg C) oven to sterelise them.

Hard boil the eggs, drain and dunk into cold water. After 10 mins, peel the eggs.

Now thouroughly wash the eggs, place in the warm jars, pour over spirit vinegar or white wine vinegar and close the lid.

Store in a cool dark place, a garage is good for at least 6 weeks before eating.

One last thing, they taste awful, IMHO :D

Spelling and punctuation !

toffee, we have two chooks 'larry' and 'barry' both lay everyday, and they belong to my grandson, they have a big headland all to themselves with sea views all around :LOL: I'm glad you asked about pickling the eggs and thanks Eddie for the answer, I love pickled egg's and they give you great farts ;) but you can get egg bound remember poor old paul newman in Cool Hand Luke when he had to eat 32 eggs with out taking a drink? I couldnt see the problem ;)

Sponsored Links
ban-all-sheds said:
Eddie M said:
One last thing, they taste awful, IMHO :D
You'll be saying next that you don't like the fish, chips & mushy peas that accompany them...

Fish 'n' chips OK, but you can keep the mushy peas and the pickled eggs :LOL:

Ive only had one once..nice flavour

Unfortunatly, to use the full latin medical term, I **** through the eye of a needle the following day and havn't touched one since

You can keep it there for as long as you like.

Dont know when it would be unsafe to eat though.

thats strange then

i put one in the fridge yesterday clucking away and when i opened the freezer today it was stone cold dead!
:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Whats it like to have a joke totally crucified Thermo? lol

very seasonal! your reply wasnt there when i posted that!

Thermo said:
very seasonal! your reply wasnt there when i posted that!

lol..and it was...my first attempt was on the lines of...'until it knocks on the door and asks to be let out'...but I went for the seasonal route..lol

also on egg topic, our boys brought home large egg from river bank this evening.
I think our geese are boys but it seems large egg for our ducks to have laid.
It is matt white.
any ideas on knowing who has laid it?

Sponsored Links
Back