So what is a 'substantial meal'?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
And how can it be served?

Apparently a scotch egg is now fine but a small bowl of chips isn't...

A micro brewery that someone we know co-runs has a stand outside where they employ various food vans to provide meals.

They've now been told that the isolated tables outside can't be used because the food isn't supplied by themselves, but if a 'bubble' of people grab a meal from said vans they can eat their meal inside the pub...

But since they can now provide a scotch egg themselves, as long as it is sealed and table delivered people can then drink outside and get the meal that they had to take inside previously...

Utter madness!
(and guess what the new food item shortage will be)

But the consequences of not following the ad lib decrees are either a massive fine or a loss of licence!

Sponsored Links
It's quite simple really, isn't it?
If it's your dinner, then you can have a drink with it.
But if you plan to stand at the bar and drink, while snacking, that's not your dinner, so not required. Go home.

It's quite simple really, isn't it?
If it's your dinner, then you can have a drink with it.
But if you plan to stand at the bar and drink, while snacking, that's not your dinner, so not required. Go home.
Not simple at all...

Not that I'm a fan, but I would class a scotch egg as a snack...
Especially the mini ones that are now sold...
Will a pair of calipers become the new required bar tool?

And are pickled eggs discriminated against?

Edit:And what about vegans?

Sponsored Links
I agree, the person who decided a scotch egg is a meal must be a complete muppet.

Where is it officially written that a scotch egg is considered a meal?

i would say 450g or 300g if mainly salad based would be substantial
where as 300g or 200g salad based would be a typical pub serving
so salad cheese chips and crusty bread should do

A micro brewery that someone we know co-runs has a stand outside where they employ various food vans to provide meals.

They've now been told that the isolated tables outside can't be used because the food isn't supplied by themselves, but if a 'bubble' of people grab a meal from said vans they can eat their meal inside the pub...

Cobblers as usual from lally to validate an opinion.

"Pubs without their own kitchens are allowed to work with outside catering companies to provide meals, they said. Some pubs already welcome pop-ups from visiting food vendors in their pub car parks, for instance, and Manchester street food company GRUB has offered to help provide traders to pubs so they can stay open".

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/whats-on/food-drink-news/tier-3-booze-rules-what-19140146

The food police are going to have a fun time!

36270770-9000305-image-a-22_1606752129061.jpg

Who made that graphic? It's *******s.
How can a 265kcal meal be more substantial than a 296kcal meal?
Somebody is trolling pub goers and having a right old laugh right now

i would say 450g or 300g if mainly salad based would be substantial
where as 300g or 200g salad based would be a typical pub serving
so salad cheese chips and crusty bread should do

or you could work it on calorie content.

So you might say 1,000 calories

500 for a light meal

At 265kcal each, or 530 for two, this is more a snack, unless you throw in chips and a roll and butter.
https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/products/250301492
3fde5c0f-f4d1-47a3-b9f5-bb22ccdfe7ed.jpeg

Don't fret, Boris hasn't made up his mind yet so it will probably be different tomorrow.

From the link above: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-55129828

"Downing Street has not ruled out tier two drinkers being able to order a Scotch egg, but would not set out the difference between a snack and a meal.

The Prime Minister's official spokesman said: "I'm obviously not going to get into the detail of every possible meal.

"But we've been clear: bar snacks do not count as a substantial meal but it's well established practice in the hospitality industry what does."

Cobblers as usual from lally to validate an opinion.
You really are an ignorant old man...

And coming from someone who posted "The government will expect local councils — and ... The police ... — to decide whether individual menu items constitute a meal, which means that a scotch egg’s definition might change from street to street in London and its 32 different councils".

As you've quite rightly pointed out yourself, rules differ in different areas :rolleyes:

But hey it's what we've come to expect!

You really are an ignorant old man...

And coming from someone who posted "The government will expect local councils — and ... The police ... — to decide whether individual menu items constitute a meal, which means that a scotch egg’s definition might change from street to street in London and its 32 different councils".
:rolleyes:

But hey it's what we've come to expect!

The food police are going to have a fun time!

36270770-9000305-image-a-22_1606752129061.jpg
Oh, I see Mr Metrosexual now sees fit to post from the Daily Mail too. Well, if you have an opinion to validate, why not.....

Sponsored Links
Back