Picnic Bench Fixings

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Im building a picnic bench and trying to decide which screws to use? Would stainless steel be best or decking screws which has a corrosion resistant coating be better?

Sponsored Links
fair chance off lasting 5+ years
i have just made 2 x1.5m benches and a table bench from 6x2treated its constructed with everything screwed with boring 3" twin screws because its main use is a garden woodwork bench that looks like a picnic bench i expect it to need components replacing more often
top and legs 6x1 the feet and mirrored cross bracing under the top are 3x1[ripper down 6x1"]
i would go for stainless or bolts if you want it maintainance free with the odd paint

i pay £3.06 per metre

Sponsored Links
Im going to bolt the table and seat supports to the legs and screw all the table and seat slats down with 80mm stainless screws

yep sounds like a good plan

remember to give it feet at the bottom off the legs to replace when they start to rot

just remember wood will not rot unless a fairly constant around 19% moisture content

this can happen where 2 surfaces touch usually at ground level or where water cant drain
so avoid placing on earth or grass avoid build up off vegetation or general rubbish that can hold moisture for extended periods

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back