Picture Of The Week

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
With further apologies to Mr RF...etc...grovel;, grovel, we are not worthy...

DSC_0037-1.jpg

Sponsored Links
Bottom left, it's the cut out.

Why do people insist on leaving exposed inner sheath on tails?

Or did you mean the extreme bottom left, which looks like some ancient wires in a metal conduit, which I think is earthed via an earth clamp.

Sponsored Links
looks like a new cu (top right) and tails fitted to the meter, then onto an age-old service head (manky old thing in the middle)

You have to have a certain kind of respect for the person who made off the earth conductor to what might, possibly be a TN-S supply. Looks carp :eek:

Don't like seeing the insulation exposed like that on tails.

What are those two wires running from the service position off to the left?

Was this just a new board, or a re-wire? the t+es covered with the white plastic pointless capping look a bit ropey

What are those two wires running from the service position off to the left?

If that is the party wall then it could be the supply to the next door house.

indeed they could be. I wonder if securespark can clarify...

Its a shame that whoever fitted the new board couldn't have found something wrong with that head, then he could have had a nice shiny new one FOC in just a few hours and could have made a much nicer job of the earth connection. Could even have gone as far as put a safety connection label on it aswell

Its a shame that whoever fitted the new board couldn't have found something wrong with that head, then he could have had a nice shiny new one FOC in just a few hours and could have made a much nicer job of the earth connection. Could even have gone as far as put a safety connection label on it aswell

Service head "appears" to be a non hinged lid. They must be changed as they are deemed to be unsafe.

It looks like 2 propertys are being fed through the same fuse. Has to be altered once identerfied.

Tails are showing inner insulation, against the meter operators code of practice, this could of been done by the electrician or the meter op.

Main Earth poorly terminated. Must be corrected once identerfied.

Sure i could find more with a better picture.

Hmmm

Other little points

CU partially mounted on meter board, means that it will need removed if the REC need to change the meter board.

No obvious seals on the meter terminals & cutout so I wonder who connected the CU

One of the points about getting the supplier to connect new CUs is that the meter fixers will report this type of cut-out to the REC, if for no other reason than they cannot actually work on them.

We regularly get reports of metal clad cut-outs in our office and usually get them changed within a couple of weeks (often on the same day).
These reports come from suppliers staff

We NEVER get any from electrical contractors who are connecting the wiring themselves (probably as they don't want to get into trouble but are happy to work on doubtful equipment and also leave it on the system)

My DNO (YEDL/CE) don't seem at all bothered about cast iron cutouts.

They charge the customer to upgrade it if there is nothing wrong with it.

Different REC's different priorities

There actually is no official policy in ENWL but I don't know of any engineer that will not decide that a cast iron cut-out is faulty so needs changing!

Sorry about the pic quality. This time, it was not my fault!

I had to report this to my company as a near miss.

The Ze is up the spout. From a socket outlet and a light fitting, the Zs is up in the three's.

Looking at the DIY connection to the cutout, I suspect a non-existent Ze.

So, I locked off the CU and took off the cover with a view to doing a Ze test.

Before I did, I moved some stuff that was obscuring the area you see in the photo. That's when I noticed the conduit.

The conduit is stuffed with a live/neutral feed in fabric-covered rubber-insulated tails. These feed next door's supply. And, yes, the earth clamped onto the conduit is fed from the consumer unit in this house.

So, had I gone and separated the main earthing conductor from the rest, if there were a fault next door, I could have got a nasty belt...

Which bit? Conduit with fabric/rubber tails - yes.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back