Piece of unused earth sleeve with brown tape=a message?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In a pendant light I found (whilst decorating) a live and a neutral (new colours) but no earth. Instead someone left a piece of earth sleeving with some brown tape.
Should I take this as a message? (Obviously I hope they didn't use the earth wire as the switched live!)
It's a 2way switch wiring in three cores + earth and the earths are connected to both switchs' back boxes (old colours), so there must be a junction box somewhere in the ceiling...

Attachments

• IMG_20180513_120354552.jpg
    IMG_20180513_120354552.jpg
    131.8 KB · Views: 356
Sponsored Links
It's brown sleeving over the earth sleeving, not tape.
MK ceiling roses in retail packaging are supplied with those two bits of sleeving, in an effort to ensure people actually use it.

In this case it seems the blunderers neither realised what it was for, or could even be bothered to remove it.

Thanks for that! In this case I shall take the light of to see whether I can find the rest of the cable above it in the ceiling. (I did in another room)

Sponsored Links
In this case it seems the blunderers neither realised what it was for,
The G/Y is for a conductor which has been cut back, and therefore it cannot be used. The person who installed the rose might not have been the blunderer who cut it back.

The brown is not needed in this instance.

or could even be bothered to remove it.
Maybe they left them for future use.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back