Pier supporting steel

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello. Just wondering if anyone has any ideas about this? I've got to build a pier as suggested by a structural engineer. It's 7n blocks 340x215. I'm not sure if that means the longest dimension should be width or length ways in regards to the steel it's holding up.
Also not sure if there's a right or wrong way for the bond. For example all on their side or alternating or whatever.
I've attached a sketch of what I mean incase I've not described it will.
Cheers.

Attachments

• IMG_20211014_093004.jpg
    IMG_20211014_093004.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 191
Sponsored Links
Suggested or specified by the engineer?:cautious:

A, probably

Blocks should be laid upright, and bonded into the wall they attach to, not tied

Thanks woody.
A) would be my preference, so that would be good.

I should have said it's an isolated pier. I meant what bond for the pier not which way to attach it.

Yes specified.

A post is a possibility but this way there's more room for Tolerance. IMO.

Sponsored Links
How is that an isolated pier at the end of a beam?
Do you mean that once it has a steel on it it is no longer considered isolated? Fair enough but at the point it's being built it won't have the steel sitting on it.
It's a column.
I don't think I've ever heard that. Is there a technical difference between a pier and a column?

No I mean I can't fathom what sort of job would have a single beam on an isolated pier, or column.

To suggest a pier of those dimensions in 7N block is nonsense. Aside from the issue of having to cut the blocks down to 340 long, the 215 dimension suggests that at least some blocks are to be laid flat, which is a no-no.

You need to go back to the SE and ask how it is to be bonded. Alternatively, build it in concrete common brick, which would more-or-less accord with the dimensions given – ie one brick x one-and- a-half bricks.

As for the orientation, again you need to ask the SE as this does make a difference.

To suggest a pier of those dimensions in 7N block is nonsense. Aside from the issue of having to cut the blocks down to 340 long, the 215 dimension suggests that at least some blocks are to be laid flat, which is a no-no.

You need to go back to the SE and ask how it is to be bonded. Alternatively, build it in concrete common brick, which would more-or-less accord with the dimensions given – ie one brick x one-and- a-half bricks.

As for the orientation, again you need to ask the SE as this does make a difference.

I agree. I wonder ifhe may have meant to write 440x215mm and put 340 by mistake, but that still suggest laying some blocks on their side and cutting of blocks.

No I mean I can't fathom what sort of job would have a single beam on an isolated pier, or column.

Ive been thinking this. But isnt a steel post which is apparently an option just like an isolated pier?

Last edited:
Ive been thinking this. But isnt a steel post which is apparently an option just like an isolated pier?
What it is is irrelevant. What I can't picture is any isolated thing holding up a single beam in an extension situation. The OP seems to be keeping it a secret.

All this depends on the load through the pier. Is it 5kN or 50kN?

What it is is irrelevant. What I can't picture is any isolated thing holding up a single beam in an extension situation. The OP seems to be keeping it a secret.
Im trying to work out how to attach things in a message and id send the drawing to you. I would put it on here but the engineer might not be happy making it public. its not in an extension though. Just removing a load bearing wall.

All this depends on the load through the pier. Is it 5kN or 50kN?
Havent got a clue. The steel is 152x152x37kg/m UC 195kg. above that is a upstairs wall and bedroom floor joists sit on it. if that helps

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back