Pigeon

bahco,

most vets will take in birds like this free of charge. They'll normally do what they can and pass them on to somewhere that deals with them, or put them out of their misery.

Sponsored Links
most vets will take in birds like this free of charge. They'll normally do what they can and pass them on to somewhere that deals with them, or put them out of their misery.

Thanks and I was unaware that they would not charge. He seems happy enough at the moment. :D

Questions:

If they are vermin why are they also considered a delicacy?

If they are thick and keep flying into windows why are they kept for racing?

Also, if they are thick why were they used to carry messages during the war?

Do they not have the right to live just like any other creature on this earth?

I know there are a lot of unpleasant creatures on this earth, (including mankind), but everything has its place in the greater chain of events and therefore has the right to live.

Q1-The fact we eat them has no bearing on anything

Q2-Wood pigeons are not kept for racing

Q3-They have a natural instinct/ability to return to somewhere they have been kept for a long time e.g a cage,so they are kept in a cage then driven miles away,they then fly home to be locked in a cage again ?

Q4-Yes they do

Q5-Correct

The problem i have with pigeons is the amount of cra p they produce and the fact they will gorge themselves and will empty a whole bird table and seed feeder,i feed and water all the birds its just pigeons that i don`t like.

Q1-The fact we eat them has no bearing on anything

Q2-Wood pigeons are not kept for racing

Q3-They have a natural instinct/ability to return to somewhere they have been kept for a long time e.g a cage,so they are kept in a cage then driven miles away,they then fly home to be locked in a cage again ?

Disregarding the case that you may be forced into doing something unpleasant for your survival;

Q1- Would you then consider eating a wild dead rat/mouse/cat for a delicacy?

Q2- Nowhere in his posts does Bacho say it is a wood pigeon and I was not inferring wood pigeons are racers.

Q3- Which is why they made such good messengers.

Sponsored Links
If a woody was made of real wood and turned into a small chair, would it be a Stool Pidgeon ha cha cha cha

i love wild birds, if that was me i would do exactly the same Bahco, if you feed it and it flys away then it will keep coming back expecting more food so you would have to keep feeding it and it would become your friend. Please can you keep updating us how its doing.

Thank you for taking care of the injured bird Bahco ;) ;)

youngroughcaster ;) ;)

PIGEON PESTS

Often referred to as ‘rats with wings’, feral pigeons have become just as much of a problem in towns and cities as their furry, four-legged counterparts.

Descendants of rock doves, originally cliff dwelling birds, the feral pigeon has adapted well to living alongside humans and is an integral feature of town centres across the country.

Disease
Pigeons have been known to carry diseases such as Chiamdiosis, a virus similar to influenza, and Psittacosis, similar to pneumonia.

Pigeons are known carriers of disease
It is still unknown how big a health risk pigeons pose to humans, with many experts believing the chance of infection to be slight.

An undisputed and particularly visual pigeon problem however is mess. Combined pigeon deposits can weigh up to several tons and costs £15 million a year to clear up.

Droppings not only cause buildings to look unsightly, but can cause long term damage according to Iain Turner, sales marketing manager of a pest control firm.

"Droppings deface buildings and can in the long term destroy them."

Fresh droppings, whilst unpleasant, pose no risk to health. It is dried droppings that can potentially spread infection.

Spores from the droppings can be inhaled as dust and carried on the wind. It can cause a flu like illness in healthy people, but poses more serious problems to those with low immunity.

Residential and rural pest
Pigeons not only pose problems in residential areas, farmers also suffer at the hands, or rather beaks of this feathered pest.

Pigeons pose a problem in residential and rural areas alike
In the course of a single year, a feral pigeon can eat its way through 64 pounds of food. With an estimated 18 million feral pigeons in Britain, this can pose a serious problem.

Pest control
As unpopular as the humble pigeon may be, shooting the pest is often frowned upon by the general public. But what are the alternatives?

Contraceptives for pigeons and pigeon predators (real and fake) have been tried with limited success. However now Lowestoft Council are driving birds away from residential areas to specially built feeding and breeding areas in less sensitive places.

So has the pigeon problem been solved? Lowestoft certainly have had successful results with the designated breeding areas.

If the scheme catches on, inner city pigeons across the country may be packing their bags for birdie suburbia. What will those tourists in Trafalgar Square do now?

If you're planning on keeping it for a while you might need to put some grit into its make shift cage,

i vaguely remember they need it to aid digestion and will die without it

Thank you for taking care of the injured bird Bahco ;) ;)

You are most welcome. :D

He is doing fine and I have put a radio on for him so he does not get too bored without his friends.

I have just phoned the RSPCA who have given me a Treatment number which should cover the cost of having it treated at the vets. They do now ask for a small debit card donation if you are willing to help them to continue to help animals which was not a problem.

The vets have just phoned me back and say they will see if its wing will recover as it may be just bruising. They do advise that it may be in a lot of pain and it may be kinder to put it to sleep. :(

It will take a lot of convincing for me to allow them to put Pepito ( my kids have christened him) to sleep.

Will take it tomorrow morning and let you know.

If you're planning on keeping it for a while you might need to put some grit into its make shift cage,i vaguely remember they need it to aid digestion and will die without it

find some on the road where the gritting lorries have been :idea:

Oh dear, he's formed an attachment to it already!
Should've done the shovel thing on day one, it will have been all forgotten about by now.

Just taken him to the vets and left him there for the vets to assess him.

I have told them that if possible I will look after him if he can't be fixed rather than have him put to sleep which is not an option if he can be saved.

Report back on this pigeon line later. :)

Sponsored Links
Back