pilot light cannot be lit at all

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Thorn Olympic 20/35B boiler. When coming back from holiday yesterday, I found the boiler's pilot light gone and tried to relit it. Although I have followed the instructions sticked on the boiler, I could not get the pilot lit at all - there are sparks though, and the thermalcouple was replaced in June during routine service.

From reading some other posts in this forum, I gathered that it was possible there is air in the pilot tube so that the gas cannot reach the proper place. I am wondering how to get rid of the air - twist the gas valve nob or press it down, which one?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Yes that is after the flame has ignited, but I think what Kev meant was to hold the grey button down for about 20 seconds before trying to light the pilot.

This should make sure that there is gas coming from the pilot before attempting to light it.

That make sense, and I have already tried it - holding the knob down for 20 sec dose not seem to help. If I press the it down for much longer, would there be any unwanted effects? Or would it be safer to repeat the "down 20 sec and ignite" process multiple times? The thing is that I have called an engineer but he won't be able to come in until late next week.

this might sound a bit non technical but can work,
where the eye glass is to the pilot, tw4t the cover with your hand, carefull not to break the glass, then try again,,,how does this work ????
well if a pilot light has been out for a holiday period, condensation can block the injector, a brisk bang can ( not always) disslodge it, it won't work every time but worth a go.

good luck,

smashfreakB.gif

this might sound a bit non technical but can work,
where the eye glass is to the pilot, tw4t the cover with your hand, carefull not to break the glass, then try again,,,how does this work ????
well if a pilot light has been out for a holiday period, condensation can block the injector, a brisk bang can ( not always) disslodge it, it won't work every time but worth a go.

good luck,

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: ........and this tw0t wants to get into the cc to kick ass :?: :?:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back