Pilot lights and engineers setting gas valves.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In many areas of London the gas pressure which should be 21 mB out of the meter has fallen to about 14 or 15mB.

Whilst most appliances should still work OK, those which have permanent pilot lights may not have sufficient gas to hold the pilot light on. I just had a call from a customer whose instant water heater probably falls into that category.

Its most likely to apply to appliances which have not been serviced for a while and which are consequently only just working under normal conditions. Another reason for regular servicing.

As the pressure in the gas supply in the streets needs to be at least about 24mB for the meter regulator to work properly, this means that an engineer will be unable to correctly set up gas valves until the gas demand returns to a more normal situation.

Tony

Sponsored Links
We had a commercial site in Wakefield Stret WC1 a couple of years ago low pressure at meter, on checking found incoming service at 17mb before governor!! :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
all you gas operatives with your fga's and gas rating charts scatching your heads, measuring the pipe size and counting the fittings, why won't the figures tally ????,
the 'made up science' of gas technoligy is only as good as the supplier can deliver, :LOL:

transco will not increase pressure at the local governor station for fear of causing gas leaks in the streets, thus more cost to them.

Gas suppliers are a joke. i ring transco probably once a week because of low gas pressure. engineer pulls up gets off his horse and fits new regulator. i go back..same problem...ring them back out. pressure is a real problem as new condensing boilers 30kw plus need a good dynamic flow of gas which in many ways they dont!

the transco bible is "EM72" which tells the engineer step by step what to do in investigating gas probs. In it they are told in cases of low pressure to check neighbours houses to see if they have low pressure thus meaning there is a prob at the mains.

In hundreds of cases I have NEVER seen an engineer do this!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back