Pine worktops for kitchen - how to stain/oil/finish

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello. I have just had pine kitchen worktops installed with a belfast sink. So now I need to finish them with the appropriate oil/stain/varnish/wax/lacquer etc, etc.

Can someone please point me in the right direction?

- Should I oil first, then varnish or seal?
- Is oil alone enough?
- How many coats are needed?
- Can anyone recommend the right oil or varnish that would be best suited to a kitchen worktop?

Many thanks!

Sponsored Links
its a bit late in the day - the oiling/sealing should have been done before installation except for the raw, cut-out edges.
contact the suppliers/ installers for advice.

They are only resting in the cabinet plinths at the moment. So can easy be lifted up.

Why do you not oil/seal the cut edges?

Any advice on the right products?

I believe the current trend is to use Osma polyx for worktops -which I think is more oil than varnish

I dont know if that will increase the yellowing of pine though.

You cant oil and varnish -1 or the other.

oil -looks more natural, but needs regular attention, can easily be sanded and reapplied

varnish -creates impervious layer but looks plastic and once damaged needs stripping.

Sponsored Links
OSMO TOP OIL
Used on kitchen top , 2 years later still as new .

Last edited:
If its fresh wood, you will need at least 4 coats of oil, rub down well between.
I use Danish oil. (On Bamboo wood)

you treat them before fitting an make the cut-outs afterwards then treat the cutout edges.

Thanks.

Will Osmo be okay on pine?
Or is that more for hardwoods?

I understand marking/dents is more likely as pine is soft. But don’t want the ‘plastic’ look of varnish.

All oils will somewhat darken any/most??? woods (the equivalent of the wood being wet). But pine will also darken by itself irrespective of what you put or do not put on it. Check out pure tung oil (at least the Liberon version I believe is food safe). Other than that you must oil frequently else kiss your worktop good bye.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back