pink plaster outside. is this ever ok?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all. Hoping for some help about using plaster outside please. I have a sort of outside landing at 1st floor level with solid walls round it. The flat downstairs bathroom is under it. The render was quite poor in places. A builder patched the render and it looked quite nice painted but about three/four weeks have passed and the paint has lifted in places to show pink underneath.

I saw some of the base coat and this was a render but I suspect at least the skim coat may be plaster, because it's pink, looks like plaster and I can easily push my thumbnail into it. I think this is bad news, but before I start to panic is there any way it could be ok ( additives or whatever ). Builder has not been fully paid yet ( another story).

If it is plaster, what should i do?

Many thanks in advance for any advice
Alan

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
am i right to think fixing this is going to be worse than the original becaise i'll have to get all the plaster off first? Anybody able to give me a rough idea of time or cost please? Its about 5 sq meters all under 6ft from floor level... .thanks vety much alan

I think you need to ask the builder what he used.

As it is not in an area, or on a house of an age, where a lime or cob render is likely, it does sound like he has used a gypsum plaster, which would be quite wrong outside. It wasn't in a porch or other protected area?

I suppose you've paid him, and he was not an itinerant?

Looking on the bright side, after a few weeks of rain, it will not take much effort to scrape it off.

Part of some wrk done with a grant from council , it was council person who ho recommended builder In a private capacity. Same person from council inspect tomorrow and pay direct to him.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back