Pipe clips first and then soldering

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am wondering if as a DIY'er (perhaps even a pro?) it's best to draw the spirit level lines for the pipe routes first, ensuring that they are straight and even-distanced, etc. I could then fit the pipe clips. Once they exist, I dry fit all the pipes and fittings. I could then solder in situ (if a reasonable distance away from clip) or remove at this stage and solder?
Is this a worthwhile approach?

Sponsored Links
Awesome! How far do I need to be from the plastic clips, to safely solder?

Just put a wet rag over the clip when you solder near to it... It's the conducted heat along the copper that usually melts them... Unless you put the torch flame directly onto them that is... Then they catch fire :LOL:

Consider using clip spacers (to bring them off the wall) so that you can then get some insulation around the pipes.

Sponsored Links
I've found this useful in some situations

Attachments

• 20190905071931.jpg
    20190905071931.jpg
    156.1 KB · Views: 325
Always best to set out and dry fit everything before you solder, you can get a better feel for everything and make any adjustments before final fix/fit.

Does the wet rag method over the clip work when we are soldering within 50cm? I had assumed that the pipes need to be removed and soldered but this would be very helpful if it won’t melt the clips.

Does the wet rag method over the clip work when we are soldering within 50cm? I had assumed that the pipes need to be removed and soldered but this would be very helpful if it won’t melt the clips.

I wouldn't use it if it didn't ;)
And just enough heat to run the solder (y)

You can solder within 5cm if you use an old wet dish cloth wrapped tightly round the pipe, obviously if the pipes vertical and water is dripping down onto the joint it's not going to solder.
Pipework is 99% soldered in situ with occasional difficult access sections etc pre-fab'd and soldered beforehand.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back