Pipe Diameter Advice

Sponsored Links
Kev - kind words, thanks mate!

whitespirit - ;) I've gotta laugh or I'd cry...

Mind you, he may just be complying with regs. Maximum run for 22 on dhw is 6m I think. Long time since I looked. It was so long ago that it was in feet. :LOL:

Cheers. The distance from both the cylinder and the cold water tank in the loft to the mixer valve is less than 6m.

Sponsored Links
The bath cold feed is main in 15mm. This I guess is OK.The hot is from the cylinder in 22 up to near where it fed the old tap then steps down to 15mm for the last 2.3m.

Is that acceptable, or should it be upgraded?

I am assuming the basins are OK in 15mm (they were in 15mm before and seemed to fill OK) as there is less urgency for a quick fill, unlike a bath.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Thanks.

We have the plumber here now and he is adamant 15mm is adequate for both the hot feed for the bath and the H& C for the shower.

"The Inlets are only 1/2" BSP you know..."

Any immediate help gratefully accepted!

Tell the plumber he's an idiot then.

You get twice as much volume with 22mm.

Better still tell him if it doesn't perform you don't pay until he puts it right.

If the inlets to the bath are only 1/2" then they are unsuitable for low pressure systems.

Check the pressure rating on the box

Things are decidedly cold between me and the plumber at the moment.

He is currently ripping out the shower tray which he maintains is perfectly well fitted (I have done loads like this) and will do it as advised on that thread.

We have told him we do not think the 15mm pipe is adequate: he is holding out that it is fine. He does not want to change it. He is really quite angry now and I'm not quite sure what to do to calm things down.

If it was me I would send him home for the day to calm down and think about it.

No good to man nor beast if he's in a strop.

He's gone home now but still adamant 15mm is OK. Another plumber down the road has had a look and said 15mm will work OK but the best thing to do would be to do a flow test.

Can't do that yet...

If we change to 22mm I get the impression we will be paying extra for it....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back