Pipe sizing.

Diyitall wrote

Why have you x it by 3

Bacause thats the correct way to do it. :rolleyes:
Their are no charts available based on a maximum pressure drop of .33 mbar.

No thats how the viper book tells you how to do it, read IGEUP/2

part of the problem is there is more than one way.

Perhaps Chris will comment and come up with some pipe sizes later.

Sponsored Links
BANGasman wrote

Simplest explanation I have seen is in viper book

Yep and it tells you to multiply by three on a 3 section layout. :rolleyes:

Not quite, it says to multiply by 3 for a 0.33 mbar drop in THIS example.

The times 3 is a simplification used for instruction that must be understandable for beginners.

To make things easy, the author assumes an equal pressure loss over 3 sections, with the largest requirement at the end of the main pipe, and the 3 sections fairly similar in length, 4m, 5m, and 4m on the main pipe, and the discharge split at approximately 30%, 30%, and 40%.

Personally, I would hope that experienced engineers do not need simplifications anymore.
Before you jump at the opportunity, based on my own observations in the field, I hope in vein and I have considered the 4% for the little fire negligible.

Back to the op.
That leaves here 13 meters to the boiler at 54 kW, followed by 4 more meters at 22 kW.
Rounding things off that means 5 m3 over the first 13 meters and 2 m3 over the last 4 meters.
If you would follow the same simplification, you would allow 0.5 over the first 13 meters and another for the last 4 meters.
You would then double the discharge from the bsen 1057 table to correct from 1 mbar to 0.5 mbar.
That would bring the need for 35 mm on the first section, and 15 mm for the second section
However, the same table reads discharge of 5.2 m3 at a length of 25 metres using 28 mm.
That would mean you can run the first segment in 28 and the second in 22, the little bit to the boiler from the main pipe also in 22, and find less than 1mbar drop at either appliance.

In this case, the simplification would distort the picture completely.

I know you are reading this Chris, am I far wrong?

I posted the actual pressure lose for each section earlier.
1-A-B 2.1 mb
2-B-C 0.02mb
3-B-D 0.09mb
4-D-E 0.14mb
5-D-F 0.45mb

if you replace A-B with 28mm you get 0.15m/bar

Simply add the relevant sections together to get the total pressure loss.

for example the cooker will be 1+2+3+4

0.15 + 0.02 + 0.09 + 0.14 = 0.40 m/bar drop

The cooker is 0.17 m/bar drop.

And the fire I was relying on section A-D to be large enough to carry the 0.45m/bar drop, certainly if the fire was changed the pipe would need to upgraded to 15m

Will say I'm still not happy with the 10mm

Doitall wrote

1-A-B 2.1 mb
2-B-C 0.02mb
3-B-D 0.09mb
4-D-E 0.14mb
5-D-F 0.45mb

You are a little bit out DIA. :rolleyes:

1- AB = 1.57mb
2- BC = 0.018mb
3- BD = 0.057mb
4 - DE = 0.17mb
5 -DF = 0.35mb.

if you replace A-B with 28mm you get 0.15m/bar

Its closer to 0.44 mb.

I am still with gas4you who suggested the 35mm earlier.

Sponsored Links
If they got to come back and replace it for free which they have, then I agree go for 35mm, without a doubt 28mm is tight.

you were saying on anoher thread that you don't get emails of thread updates.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back