Pipe sizing.

From the OP's first post he states that the 22mm he is concerned about is supplying all 3 appliances. I would take this to be length A-B.

Can't see how this would even begin to be large enough :confused:

Sponsored Links
Quite simple really :rolleyes: you have a total 55.8 kw = 5.24 cu/m/hr

It then depends on the distance to each appliance.

for example 3m to the cooker + 2m to the boiler and 10 m to the fire, 22mm will be large enough.

Needs the answer to my first post

Yes but you need to triple the distance because of 3 appliances using that pipe length, so each only gets a 1/3rd mbar drop in this section.

Yes but you need to triple the distance because of 3 appliances using that pipe length, so each only gets a 1/3rd mbar drop in this section.

I know how to size pipes thank you. :LOL: ;)

Sponsored Links
Hi do it all.
Your post came in after my last post so i missed it.
Here goes.
All measurements include fittings @ 0.5m and formed bends @ 0.3m.

A-B = 12.6m of 22mm (meter to first T)

B-C = 0.4m of 22mm (first T to boiler)

B-D = 2.3m of 22mm (first T to second T)

D-E = 4.1m of 15mm (second T to cooker)

D-F = 8.9m of 10mm (second T to fire)

Hope this is clear, i do not have a C-D as the first T feeds the boiler and the original fittings under the stairs where the old meter was.
Cheers
Could this be part of the problem, the boiler is being fed well before the rest of the appliances, if they had piped under the stairs and used only 3m would it not distribute the gas more evenly or doesn't it work like that?

Miles undersize then, will tell you how much in a minute
A to B needs to be 28mm, the rest is ok but not sure about the 10mm for the fire sounds low to me, although it only needs 0.2 m3/hr

Ok.
So i need to call one of their inspectors 'cause this bloke doesn't seem to have a clue what he is doing.
Why he didn't take the 3m route i don't know.
No earth bonding to the new meter.
No clips on the pipework.
The man needs his number taking off him, oops, silly me, that would cost Corgi, little chance of that then :evil:
What a farce!!
Cheers.

The bonding is important and on that alone you should bend a few ears.

Have just checked the 10mm and 9m will discharge 0.5m3/hr so ok

For the record D to E is right on the mark, and I mean nothing to spare

Ok, thanks for that.
Hopefully doing the kitchen this year so the range will go.
Gas hob only.
I will be bending some ears, they have wrecked a new utility room for no reason and not even done the damn job right!!
What is your opinion on flueless fires?
I have had a couple of fitters say they have no problems with them and a couple who call them death traps with no evidence to back it up?
If they have been found to be dangerous then i need to know.
Cheers

My Opinion of flueless fires is well documented.

Turn the dam thing off and throw it in the nearest skip, they are not just dangerous they are suicidal, bit like doing 70 up the M4 with no brakes.

Then do a quick search on here.

For the sake of an argument when the guy turns up the pressure drop between each of the legs you posted are as follows.

A-B 2.1 mb
B-C 0.02mb
B-D 0.09mb
D-E 0.14mb
D-F 0.45mb

Hope that helps.

Flueless fires are not my cup of tea.. Cant say that they are dangerous but they are more open to abuse by customers who don't have them serviced, dislike the draught produced by the mandatory vent that must be fitted and so they block them up and are more likely (In my opinion) to be fitted by Mr DIY.. In all of the cases that I have seen, the room must be a minimum size also.. So plenty to go wrong and put a choker on your day. Oh don't forget all that nice moisture that they spit out in to your room and causes condensation

Having said that I also dislike most other gas fires too.. Horrid nasty tin things that throw out little heat for the gas that you are paying for...Eugh

I wouldn't trust them if they was serviced once a week.

Ask the OP how many hours it's been used, and the expiry date of the cat, both very important, and I'm willing to bet he hasn't a clue to either part of the question.

Taking a shortcut by just calculating the requirements for boiler and cooker adding up to 54 kW, you need about 5 m3 per hour.
As the fire takes only a few percent of the total load, I would personally not include it in the calculation and simply go for a larger size if I came anywhere near the maximum load.
22mm will give you a max equivalent length of about 8 meters, which in your case is not enough, so it must be a least 28 until the first tee, and after that it might still need 28 depending on the route of the pipe.
No need to go larger than 28 as it will give you an equivalent length of more than 20 meters.
The RGI who fitted the pipe, was not required to install the bonding to the gaspipe, and unless he was also a competent electrician, technically not even allowed to do so.
What he should have done is leave you a notice to get it done by a registered electrical installer.

Still not with you DIA :confused:

12.6 x 3 = 37.7m

38m of 28mm won't carry 5.6m/hr ish of gas, so as I posted I would use 35mm off the meter.

(Yes I know you know how to pipe size :rolleyes: :LOL: )

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back