Help needed for gas pipe size

Sponsored Links
The previous idiotic suggestion that an unregisted householder should ************ was totally inappropriate advice and should have been deleted by a Mad Mod!

But the calculation method is "theory" and I dont see why it should not be mentioned here. Particularly as demo calcs have already been given.

I know GW is usually right ( ish ) but perhaps I have forgotten something and its important that we always get this right.

The OP's installer was being VERY silly as he will have been recently trained and should have done the calcs properly.

The OP has also been very reasonable asking him to come and correct the gas pipe size and agrees to pay for the extra cost of 35 mm tube and fittings where required.

Tony

That assumes that the boiler wasnt upgraded after the pipe installed, and the range cooker also a later addition...

I dont think we know all the facts, and I dont think RGE's shoud be jumping to conclusions...still britains blue collar workers are adept at keeping themselves in their perceived place!!!!

Happy to stay learning here..I just thought that was the idea of the CC

Each sections effective length is multiplied by the number of sections , if the OP had a gas fire added then this would be 3 sections.

You have lost me with that too.

Can you explain in simple language and say why too?

If we were to take the OP's example then we have 2 sections , ie:.....

A to B (meter to first tee)
B to C (first Tee to boiler) or B to D (first tee to range)

1 mb /2 = .5mb...each section should have a pressure drop not exceeding .5mb , in the OP's case 28mm to first tee would have a loss of...

22.44/40m= 0.56mb........not a problem for 2 sections as long as first tee to boiler/range is below 0.44mb to which it isn't (2mb).

If the OP had 4 appliances then each section would be sized on a pressure drop of 1/4=.25mb per section.

The 22.44 metres from meter to first tee would be sized for...22.44 x 2 (sections) = 44.88 m equiv length , so 50m @ 33.77 m3/hr would suggest a pipe size of 35mm , some may do it different than above although it doesn't leave much scope.

Sponsored Links
Yeah that is true, but not what was expressed, or intepreted...

Going back to the OP If the 15mm was accesable then this could be up graded too...what do you think GW?

22.44 x 2 branches = 44.88 metres.

That is what was throwing me ...

Th books express that in a different way...

From the meter to the first branch 28mm.

From the first branch to the cooker 15mm.

From the first branch to the boiler 22mm.

That assumes the range is 15kw and not 5kw which is unlikely to be right.

From the meter to the first branch 28mm.

From the first branch to the cooker 15mm.

From the first branch to the boiler 22mm.

That assumes the range is 15kw and not 5kw which is unlikely to be right.

0.75mb loss between meter/1st tee?

If we were to take the OP's example then we have 2 sections , ie:.....

A to B (meter to first tee)
B to C (first Tee to boiler) or B to D (first tee to range)

1 mb /2 = .5mb...each section should have a pressure drop not exceeding .5mb.
I may be mistaken, but I always thought that the 1mb allowable drop was from the meter to the device, i.e meter to boiler, or meter to range.

Thats right David.

But GW had chosen to give 0.5 mB to each section of the gas supply.

Actually that is not the only/best way to apportion the permissible pressure drop.

It can be apportioned any way but thats usually best done according to the easiest/cheapest way to size pipework.

One way I do that is to make the pipework close to the meter larger as there are usually many elbows there and each elbow is cheaper to upsize than a metre of pipework.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back